2001 GT vs. 2001 Cobra...

• Sponsors (?)

SVTStang03 said:
Hmmmmmm. Interesting. You'd think with the power/torque difference there would be some lower #'s on a 4v...

Thats the funny thing. The 4V makes a heck of a lot more power, but it comes higher in the RPM range. The 4V also lacks TQ in the lower RPM's. The 2V GT, on the other hand, makes it's TQ lower in the RPM range, therefor it can keep up 0-60, but after 60mph the GT see's Cobra taillights

i would beat a buddy of mine in his 01 cobra when i had my late build 01 GT.
cobra was stock except for K&N.
my GT had a cai with a rotated maf (leaned car out),
pullies, NGK iridiums & a short throw. it dyno'd @ 245hp/295tq

i would beat him by about 1/2 car length. i would pull a car to 1 1/2 cars on him by end of 2nd gear, then he would gain about a car thru 3rd & shutting down after about 1-2 seconds in 4th gear. this was slightly longer than a 1/4 mile probably about 1450ft.

i still won by 1/2 car in little over 1/4 mile (powershifting)
he would be gaining from middle of 3rd gear
i ran a best of 13.60 @ 102.5 (average was 13.75)
i never cut a 60ft lower than 2.0 (average was 2.1)
i dont remember my 1/8 mile
elevation in K.C. is about 1000ft above sea level

they will beat a GT stock for stock same driver but lightly to mildly modded it is very even in 1320ft after that it is all cobra............. unless GT is heavily modded like my 02 (may 8th i will be dyno tuned, 4.10's, uca/lca & welded up torque boxes.

hope this helps some

01 and below cobra's aren't known for their low end grunt. Hell, they don't even make a lot of peak torque. That's just by their design. But it goes both ways, by design, the cobra will make more peak hp with the same if not slightly lower peak torque, where as the 2v generally speaking, will make more torque with less hp. Mind you this is in an n/a application. Once blown, everything goes out the door.

Gears usually become a cobra's best friend because it damn near eliminates any low end problems. Basically, once the modding begins, it'll almost always be cobra > gt