2001 Mustang GT Steering Loose

spartan2381

Jul 10, 2018
TX
A new top was put on a used 2001 Mustang GT convertible I just picked up. I noticed that rear portion of the windows does not fully seat against the frame. What is the best way to fix this? I have seen some video where people pull off the door panel and adjust the two screws towards the top on the window.

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 288
  • Sponsors (?)

My 2000 occasionally does the same thing. Here is what I know: my window can be rolled up a little too high if I do not pay attention, and, the forward portion of the window remains a bit low...I can grab the window and physically align it so it seals. Based upon my research, I believe my window mechanism is either broken or the window has come loose from the mount at the forward point. In any case, you and I will have to remove the door panel to inspect and repair. I have not done this work on my Mustang yet, but have had many door panels off and fixed/aligned other windows (starting back when autos were made of steel and wiring harnesses caught fire)--so this advice...go slow...all the oldish plastic pieces are brittle...and, a little adjustment may go a long way. You may find that a light and inspection mirror will help you examine the guts of the door. Good luck.

My 2000 occasionally does the same thing. Here is what I know: my window can be rolled up a little too high if I do not pay attention, and, the forward portion of the window remains a bit low...I can grab the window and physically align it so it seals. Based upon my research, I believe my window mechanism is either broken or the window has come loose from the mount at the forward point. In any case, you and I will have to remove the door panel to inspect and repair. I have not done this work on my Mustang yet, but have had many door panels off and fixed/aligned other windows (starting back when autos were made of steel and wiring harnesses caught fire)--so this advice...go slow...all the oldish plastic pieces are brittle...and, a little adjustment may go a long way. You may find that a light and inspection mirror will help you examine the guts of the door. Good luck.

Thank you for they reply and insight. I'll go ahead and pull the door panel off and take a look at whats going on inside.

I would check the rag joint in the steering column first, then tie rod ends and rack bushings. Putting it up on jackstands safely and watch it when turning from underneath safely might help too..