2001 Mustang GT Weird Engine Noise

RuBiXQ

Mar 6, 2011
I have a 2001 Mustang GT automatic tranny with about 103,000 miles on it. Its never been modded, but I will be doing mods on it very soon. First mod I'm thinking about doing is gears, but the engine is making a weird noise. I'm not that experienced with car engines and especially mustang's, but I want to make sure it's not a huge problem. Also there's oil leaking in the exhaust, When I turn my car on and stick my fingers in the exhaust there's wet oil there; is that a gasket problem or what?

Here's a video on the engine noise, you can really hear it around the :30 second time mark.

YouTube - 2001 Mustang GT Engine Noise

• Sponsors (?)

hard to diagnose over the internet,

the noise might be anything. from a header OR midpipe gaskit. to something internal,

as far as the oil. it could be related. could be the rings OR valve seals.

does it smoke ?

does it consume lots of oil?

i would pull the plugs. take it from their,

Weird sound. To determine if it's something in the accessory drive, remove the accessory belt completely and start it. Keep in mind the water pump won't be turning so keep an eye on temps and don't run it for long...just enough to determine if the noise remains or not. If the noise goes away, you've got something going on in the drive: tensioner, idlers, alternator, P/S etc.

If the noise stays, can you isolate it? Front or rear? Left or right? Up or down?

Any oil pressure issues?

Could it be a bad PCV vavle?

Bad PCV valve would possibly chirp, cause of excessive oil getting by, the the weight slamming up and down causing a whistling chirping noise.

Are you sure its oil, these cars push out a fair ammount of condensation when cold cranked. And yes, once the timing chain guides get worned, it starts to make a fair amount noise.
Any idea where exactly the noise is coming from.

That's tough through a video but I would start with removing the belt and listening like Trinity said. I would spin the alternator and see if it's making any noise. Then move to the timing chain.

Stupid question here guys, but is the writing on the block on the driver side possibly from the motor being from a junkyard? Usually they have their internal numbers and maybe the motor was from a junkyard? Not that it is necessarily a bad thing but it could be something? :shrug: Just a thought

The sound almost sounds like it's coming from one of the spark plugs. Do spark plugs make this kind of noise?

You might want to check the plugs to make sure they're all tight (~13ft-lbs or 156 in-lbs).

Do you have access to an automotive stethoscope? For instance:

AutomotiveStethoscope-450.jpg

If so, use it to try to localize the noise. If not, you can still use a long screwdriver stuck against your ear (not the pointy end :) ) touching various parts with the other end to try to locate the noise.

Q: If you look at the engine oil is there any sign of glints from small metal bits? Just trying to rule out a cam journal wiping itself out...

not long ago, i had a strange noise, whinning coming from the engine comp... was driving me crazy...
after listening for a while.. i put my finger carefully on the bolt part of the idler, bearing was gone..cost 20 bucks and a 3/8 inch drive to fix.. takes about 5 min... take the pressure off the belt...replace the idler .. you might want to check that.. i have a 2002 gt with 82k on it ..this happened about 70 k....

There's no glints in the oil and it's not a whining sound more like a crackling/sucking sound, like the sound when you're drinking a soda through a straw and there's no more left, that kind of sound.