2001 mustang with a 2000 motor, idles at 2k rpm then goes down to 1200rpm.

knoblecorner

Aug 25, 2018
kansas
so i recently bought a 2001 mustang v6 and the previous owner put a lower mile 2000 v6 motor in it. so to begin it idles rough, and at 1,200 rpm. i unplugged the iacv and it didnt make a difference just allowed more hanging idle / a little bit higher idle not by much. so i plugged it back in. i unplugged the MAF sensor and it died immediatly ( plugged back in started fine lil rough ). i also replaced the upper 02 sensors as well. and one more thing to mention, its a 5 speed. so when i climb rpms up to 3k higher it vibrates pretty good and is sluggish/ doesnt have much power. but seems to run good if going easy down the highway, cruises at 65mph perfectly. ant input would be greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

i unplugged the iacv and it didnt make a difference just allowed more hanging idle / a little bit higher idle not by much. so i plugged it back in. i unplugged the MAF sensor and it died immediatly
IF unplugging the IAC makes no difference in the idle THEN:
  • there's a vacuum leak after the throttle body
  • the IAC idle stop screw is set too high.
  • there's binding in the throttle body butterfly or throttle cable.
  • The incorrect IAC valve has been used for the application (black vented verses non-vented).
WHICH IAC valve has been used (black vented verses non-vented)? The type of IAC valve used needs to MATCH the type the PCM is expecting.

Here's some more information that may help.

Unplugging the MAF and immediate quitting likely means that the TPS is not sending a stable signal AND there's a vacuum leak.

Troubleshoot IAC idle problems 1996-2004
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/troubleshoot-iac-idle-problems-1996-2004.13/

Last edited:
so if the air filter box, that holds the air filter, if it isnt closed all the way, i think its just old. it literally has a gap about a half centimeter, would it cause a high idle? there is a black tube connected to the air intake tube up towards the throttle body, and if i squeeze it, it makes the engine lower in rpm. if that helps. im not good at finding vacume leaks. would leaking valve cover gaskets cause this as well? thanks!