2001 p0455 ca smog fail

OK, I ma in the middle of it, I checked the purge solenoid and it is closed with engine off, open when engine on. It is ok.

now I am looking at the hoses and they alll look fine.
I am looking at under the rock shield on the filler and as expected NO rust, CA car.

but I took the gas cap off and when I suck on the inside it allows air in. when I blow it closes, not allowing flow.

I saw this utube video and it claims that when the test is done of the evap, a vacuum is pulled from he engine, the purge and vent solenoids are closed and the vacuum should hold or the tank pressure sensor will detect a small or like in my case a large leak.

how is a vacuum going to hold it the gas cap allows air in??

Is it as simple as having the wrong gas cap??

I bought from the ford dealership 2 years ago.

I am going to kragen to see if they have one that is closed both ways.

Please advise..

• Sponsors (?)

checked the Lincoln one also and it does not allow out fumes, but does allow air in with a higher pressure to over power the spring. I also noticed that ford went back to the screw on type on the 05 navigator, not the 1/4 turn like my 2001.

Bought a new cap from O'Reilly and it feels like it locks with 3 times the pressure of the old one.

I am now going to test line sections by blocking areas.

keep ya posted.

found the hose that Y's back into the engin compartment with a shreader connector was dissolving, even though when I sucked on it (no pun) it did not leak, maybe when it heats up it does. Still looking.

po455

i had po455/457 for the longest time after ford worked on my car...i too tryied everything with no luck...

well 1 day i was responding to a completly different problem with a pic of my engine...

i had a guy say 1 of my vacuum hoses was in the wrong place..i moved the hose and my code went away with it..

on mine there is a big hose on inlet tube before the throttlebody/than a big hose on elbow after throttlebody...they were backwards.....

here is more to read...to add to WMBURNS has giving,,,i dont think we can do test without proper equipment,,but a better understanding might help you find your problem...

evap testing/22pages
https://acrobat.com/#d=VB5nJ1g6-NBgZx8gyzHxPQ
evap verifaction drive cycle
https://acrobat.com/#d=okJ3PmnJMH9WnynTj64o-w

2003 PCED OBD SECTION 1: Description and Operation
Procedure revision date: 08/28/2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Leak Check Monitor
The Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Leak Check Monitor is an on-board strategy designed to detect a leak from a hole (opening) equal to or greater than 1.016 mm (0.040 inch) in the Enhanced EVAP system. The proper function of the individual components of the Enhanced EVAP system as well as its ability to flow fuel vapor to the engine is also examined. The EVAP Leak Check Monitor relies on the individual components of the Enhanced EVAP system to apply vacuum to the fuel tank and then seal the entire Enhanced EVAP system from atmosphere. The fuel tank pressure is then monitored to determine the total vacuum lost (bleed-up) for a calibrated period of time. Inputs from the engine coolant temperature (ECT) or cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor, intake air temperature (IAT) sensor, mass air flow (MAF) sensor, vehicle speed, fuel level input (FLI) and fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor are required to enable the EVAP Leak Check Monitor.

Note: During the EVAP Leak Check Monitor Repair Verification Drive Cycle a PCM reset will bypass the minimum soak time required to complete the monitor. The EVAP Leak Check Monitor will not run if the key is turned off after a PCM reset. The EVAP Leak Check Monitor will not run if a MAF sensor failure is indicated. The EVAP Leak Check Monitor will not initiate until the Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Monitor has completed.

The EVAP Leak Check Monitor is executed by the individual components of the Enhanced EVAP system as follows:

The function of the EVAP canister purge valve is to create a vacuum on the fuel tank. A minimum duty cycle on the EVAP canister purge valve (75%) must be met before the EVAP Leak Check Monitor can begin.
The canister vent (CV) solenoid will close (100% duty cycle) with the EVAP canister purge valve at its minimum duty cycle to seal the Enhanced EVAP system from atmosphere and obtain a target vacuum on the fuel tank.
The fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor will be used by the EVAP Leak Check Monitor to determine if the target vacuum on the fuel tank is being reached to perform the leak check. Some vehicle applications with the EVAP Leak Check Monitor use a remote in-line FTP sensor. Once the target vacuum on the fuel tank is achieved, the change in fuel tank vacuum for a calibrated period of time will determine if a leak exists.
If the initial target vacuum cannot be reached, DTC P0455 (gross leak detected) will be set. The EVAP Leak Check Monitor will abort and not continue with the leak check portion of the test.

For some vehicle applications: If the initial target vacuum cannot be reached after a refueling event and the purge vapor flow is excessive, DTC P0457 (fuel cap off) is set. If the initial target vacuum cannot be reached and the purge flow is too small, DTC P1443 (no purge flow condition) is set.

If the initial target vacuum is exceeded, a system flow fault exists and DTC P1450 (unable to bleed-up fuel tank vacuum) is set. The EVAP Leak Check Monitor will abort and not continue with the leak check portion of the test.

If the target vacuum is obtained on the fuel tank, the change in the fuel tank vacuum (bleed-up) will be calculated for a calibrated period of time. The calculated change in fuel tank vacuum will be compared to a calibrated threshold for a leak from a hole (opening) of 1.016 mm (0.040 inch) in the Enhanced EVAP system. If the calculated bleed-up is less than the calibrated threshold, the Enhanced EVAP system passes. If the calibrated bleed-up exceeds the calibrated threshold, the test will abort and rerun the test up to three times.

If the bleed-up threshold is still being exceeded after three tests, a vapor generation check must be performed before DTC P0442 (small leak detected) will be set. This is accomplished by returning the Enhanced EVAP system to atmospheric pressure by closing the EVAP canister purge valve and opening the CV solenoid. Once the FTP sensor observes the fuel tank is at atmospheric pressure, the CV solenoid closes and seals the Enhanced EVAP system.

The fuel tank pressure build-up for a calibrated period of time will be compared to a calibrated threshold for pressure build-up due to vapor generation.

If the fuel tank pressure build-up exceeds the threshold, the leak test results are invalid due to vapor generation. The EVAP Leak Check Monitor will attempt to retest again.

If the fuel tank pressure build-up does not exceed the threshold, the leak test results are valid and DTC P0442 will be set.
If the 1.016 mm (0.40 inch) test passes, the test time is extended to allow the 0.508 mm (0.020 inch) test to run.

The calculated change in fuel vacuum over the extended time is compared to a calibrated threshold for a leak from a 0.508 mm (0.020 inch) hole (opening).

If the calculated bleed-up exceeds the calibrated threshold, vapor generation is run. If vapor generation passes (no vapor generation), an internal flag is set in the PCM to run a 0.508 mm (0.020 inch) test at idle (vehicle stopped).

On the next start following a long engine off period, the Enhanced EVAP system will be sealed and evacuated for the first 10 minutes of operation.

If the appropriate conditions are met, a 0.508 mm (0.020 inch) leak check is conducted at idle.

If the test at idles fails, a DTC P0456 will be set. There is no vapor generation test with the idle test.
Note: If the vapor generation is high on some vehicle Enhanced EVAP Systems, where the monitor does not pass, the result is treated as a no test. Thereby, the test is complete for the day.

The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is activated for DTCs P0442, P0455, P0456, P0457, P1443 and P1450 (or P446) after two occurrences of the same fault. The MIL can also be activated for any Enhanced EVAP system component DTCs in the same manner. The Enhanced EVAP system component DTCs P0443, P0452, P0453 and P1451 are tested as part of the Comprehensive Component Monitor (CCM).

Figure 7: Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Leak Check Monitor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks hot cobra, could you give me a picture of the hose in question, I had the engine replaced last year and they might have messed up my house routing.

BTW, the P0455 is back after just 22 miles of driving here to work. I am about to but the purge solenoid from rock auto for 50 bucks. But now I want to check the hose that gave you the issue,

I just scheduled a ASE certified mobile mechanic to come and look at the stang tonight at my home. He told me that from his experience this code is caused by a intake manifold or engine compartment hose leak, he told me to spray brake cleaner or carb cleaner and look for a rise in RPM's. He said he has a computer program that tells him the most common fixes based on error code and year/model.

$25 bucks, I am willing to have him give it a shoot.

I let you know what happens.

I just scheduled a ASE certified mobile mechanic to come and look at the stang tonight at my home. He told me that from his experience this code is caused by a intake manifold or engine compartment hose leak, he told me to spray brake cleaner or carb cleaner and look for a rise in RPM's. He said he has a computer program that tells him the most common fixes based on error code and year/model.

$25 bucks, I am willing to have him give it a shoot.

I let you know what happens.
See post #10 this thread. Requested a check of the vacuum line from the throttle body back through the back right hand engine bay.

As a reminder, the code says "No flow or large leak". No flow could be cause by the EVAP line being totally disconnected from the throttle body.

It is also possible that the EVAP hose is rotten to the point were it collapses under the engine vacuum. This could prevent the EVAP flow. Again, I would have thought such a defect to be noticeable during the inspection.

FWIIW, if there were a LEAK in the engine bay, the leak would be sucking unmetered air all of the time. This should affect driveability. Haven't you reported that the car drives great?

In any case, the EVAP vapor line is easily accessible from the TB to the firewall. Any leak would be easy to spot by feeling with your hand alone the length of hose. In my experience, hoses normally leak near fittings.

So assuming that some inspections have been done, this would leave me to believe the leak is in a less obvious location.

OBTW; you did replace the green cap on the EVAP test port didn't you? You know the one in the engine bay rear right hand corner. The one that looks like a great place to pressurize the system for testing?

My vote is if it is a LEAK, it is downstream of the VMV purge valve (towards the gas tank).

<<Invoice for diagnostic services $20.00 US (discount given for clean hands)>>

Mr Burns, I believe you refer to the TB to purge valve hose, that hose I replaced 2 years ago, but NAPA does not carry vacuum hose, I used Transmission line hose. could this be the culprit?

I had the engine running and I disconnected this hose and the large vacuum leak made my engine almost stumble, I sucked on the hose and the purge valve was open, I could taste gas fumes.

I also replaced the hose going from the purge valve Y to the test port (green cap) and re installed the green cap over the schrader valve.

do you know where to find a evap hose diagram?

The engine by the way runs great, and I can not hear any vacuum leaks, a little hard with the flow-masters.

2000 EVAP diagram

diagram and locations of EVAP component parts.

Note the excerpt from the Ford service manaual especially the part about it being "normally closed". That means it should only allow flow when power is applied. The comment about being able to blow through it does not sound correct.

The CV vent solenoid should be open by default and should close when power has been applied. Note, if the CV vent solenoid does NOT close (stuck open) when commanded, this of course could cause the DTC.

Just as the EVAP purge solenoid not opening when commanded could cause this DTC as well.

Did you perform the basic function tests of the EVAP purge and CV vent solenoids?

But as can be seen from the diagram, there are a lot of possible leak locations. Some are more likely than others. As mentioned before, the hard lines running the length of the car are not likely to leak unless subjected to road damage.

>>>From Ford service manual.
The Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister purge valve:
  • is normally closed.
  • regulates purging of the EVAP canister.
  • is controlled by the PCM.
  • is located in the right front inner fender well.

hose

the hose in question is the one that gets your hands black when you rub it... i thru it in the trash and used the hose off my 86 olds evap system(gates fuel hose )...funny this hose is still like new and my new hose is shot in months....

if your hose makes your hands black its leaking like a garden leak hose and can be the problem

amazing how intimate I am becoming with the evap system of my stang, and since I plan to keep it for along time it is all good. I really like the shape and feel of it.

I did the functional text on the purge valve, when engine is off it is closed, when engine running it it off. I figure it is good.

I was having a hard time removing the evap vent valve connector, did not want to break anything so I skipped the test.

I found that the gas cap was a little loose and got a new one. I also replaced the service port hose located in the front passenger fender near the purge valve. it was pulverizing.

i am having my Bro buy the purge and vent valves at the wrecking yard as I write this, depending on the weather I might change them tonight.

Keep you posted.