2001 Rough Idle, Hesitancy, Stalling On Coast

mwmuskopf

Apr 16, 2015
hi all,
I'm new to this whole thing. just bought my first mustang six months ago and now I've run into a situation where it idles pretty rough at red lights (drops to ~400 rpm but shudders and then recovers) and it doesn't seem willing to accelerate. on the highway it will sometimes "hiccup" if you try to open the throttle up to max and just doesn't seem to have much responsiveness. Also, when i am coming out of acceleration and have begun coasting (its a stick btw) it will sometimes stall out with no warning. however, it starts right back up. today it did it three times in Columbus rush hour traffic... its getting kind of dangerous. this time it managed to catch codes p0171 and p0174, noting a lean/rich AFR or MAF issue. Not sure where to start... I'm guessing its the fuel pump. given that I'm in college and this car is completely mine, however, i cant exactly throw money at it and if it doesn't work, try something else. any tips? I'm thinking about getting a fuel pressure test kit this weekend. 2001 v6 stick 121K on it. thanks!

• Sponsors (?)