2002 3.8l V6 Mustang Sudden Startup Issues

Jazzy

May 21, 2017
Having a peculiar issue right after having a few grand put into reviving this Mustang and going through inspection which came out fine. Was driving the Mustang earlier for some errands and she drove fine. Got home, parked it, and later ordered a pizza. Came out to drive to pick it up, had power for a split second and it shut out on me. Then I had no power, no crank, no sounds at all when turning the key. If I try to turn on the lights or use any power it just clicks at me. When I turn the key into ignition the theft light will blink slowly. I was then frigging around underneath trying to find out where the clicking was coming from and I locked the steering wheel. Now I cannot even turn they key, no theft light comes on. But it still clicks if I attempt to use power. At one point while messing around with the lights and clicking sound I actually got power back on the front dash and headlights, but as soon as I turned the key it died again.

I searched around on the net and no situation seems to be like the one I am in. I'm in a city right now and nowhere's near my local mechanic who does all my work for me (for a decent price!) I'd really like to avoid having to pay the outrageous price for a tow/mechanic work if I could. Does anyone have an idea what is going on?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area, and thank you to any and all who help. Cheers.

• Sponsors (?)

Thank you, I appreciate it!

I thought it could be the battery but, I just got a brand new one less than 6 months ago. Could it really have gone out that quickly?

Checked the battery and connections looked fine. Decided to unhook them anyways and in the middle of the connector rings there was some corrosion. Used a sanding brick & sand paper my buddy had at home to knock that all off and voila we had power. Just had to give the wheel a crank to let the key turn and she revived! Simple yet stumping experience. Even if it looks okay go through the basics!