2002 Convertible V6 - Buy or not

USRobo

Apr 20, 2006
I am looking at a 2002 Convertible Mustang v6 3.8L with 65,000 the seller wants $7,200. Is this a good price? How is the gas mileage on the v6? What usually goes wrong?
Here are the specs -
65,000 Miles
True Blue w/ white convertible top, white Mustang panels & white leather interior
16" Bright Alloy Wheels
ABS/Traction control
Rear deck lid spoiler
Power everything
In dash 6 CD disc changer, Mach 460 premium sound system
Securilock Anti-theft system & remote keyless entry
CFC-Free air conditioning runs extremely cold

In perfect mechanical condition, new ceramic disc brakes, good tires, oil & filter just changed, freshly inspected & detailed.

Has a few parking lot bumps & bruises from working downtown, but no major body damage

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

not too bad.. if you like the car, then go for it. Economy kind of depends on whether it's a 5 speed or auto, and how much lead is in your foot.. mine gets 18-20 in the city, and near 30 on the highway. I am a leadfoot, that's why it drops into the teens. Your first 2 mods should be new wheels, and dual exhaust... good luck..

True Blue FTW!:nice:

The 16" rims are good enough, and with a 7.5" width, you won't need anything else for the power you're putting down.

Biggest problem may be an exhaust leak. At least that seems like the only common problem on these cars.

Thanks for the info guys/gals. This car will be for my daughter, 20 so I want to make sure it is reliable.

Thanks for all the info. I will post pictures if I decide to buy.
:SNSign:

truebluevert said:
Sounds just like my v6, true blue vert with white top and interior. I love mine and the color combo I havent seen anywhere else.

As long as you keep up on maintenance, reliability should not be a problem. My car just passed 100,000 and no problems yet, even though I thrash on it trying to pretend it is a V8. Those 3.8 engines are tough; Ford has a lot of experience with them. I wouldn't worry about it.

RED98 said:
I thrash on it trying to pretend it is a V8.
:stupid:

My car was a 1 yr-old rental with 31k miles when I bought it. I'm now at 77k and everyone that has ever been in a car with me knows I don't take it easy on them. I haven't had a single problem.
After driving my '66 daily for two years w/o a single problem and now this car, I can laugh at anyone that says American cars are unreliable.

USRobo said:
This car will be for my daughter, 20 so I want to make sure it is reliable.

Depending on where she lives, that car should last a LONG time. My little sister also has a 2001 V6, and since she lives in a small college town her car only has 11k miles. We bought it in 2003 with only 5k.:jaw: