2002 engine tick and idle surge

mikec35

Jul 6, 2004
NC
Anyone hear their engine tick upon acceleration? Its a slight tick, not sure if rockers ticking or possibly fuel injectors or exhaust.. Also every now and then you will come to a stop and the engine will surge slightly. Have to press brake harder to keep car from moving. Anyone know of any service bulletins relating to these issues? Any advice? Thx, Mike

• Sponsors (?)

I had a similar problem with a tick, it noticed it the most on low to mid rpm going up hills. One of my headers had a crack, that might make the rpm change if your computer changes the air/fuel ratio (perhaps) especially if you have a cali car with air injection. Are your miles per gallan getting lower? mine did with my leak. Good luck :)

I haven't noticed a mph drop.. only had the car about 3 months, it seems to get about 24-25mpg on highway. I will look for signs of an exhaust leak. Which side was yours on??

Same here

I have a 2000 V6 and I also have that same tick through the exhaust and the surge at idle speeds where you have to press the brake harder. After noticing the Bosch P4 Plugs were ate up in a month I figured out I had a problem. A buddy of mine suspected a cracked head and now I'm pretty sure of it.

I listened today with my mechanics stethescope. Sounds like rockers ticking. Can hear the same tick on numerous spots on the valve cover. Is this normal? Does anyone know of any Technical Service Bulletins on this model? Looked closely at both headers and I see no carbon stains which leads me to believe its not an exhaust leak. Any advice apprecitated...

Sounds like you have a 3.8L Mustang. The fact is, we have loud valvetrains. Mine has ticked like that forever, but thats just the way it is. Also, I have gone to the track and had my car dyno'ed and, if anything, it runs better than your average V6 (~170whp with just exhaust and Aluminum DS). If your car is under warranty, have Ford check it out. Otherwise, I just put in a bottle of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant (I think thats what its called) and that helps soften the tick. Good Luck.

I have been hearing the same tick in my car....I have been wondering what the hell it was also. I have 24,000 miles on my '02 and it has been doing it for a little bit now probably last 10,000 miles or so. I can't afford to be without my car for at least a day so does anyone else know how we can track this down? I'm also afraid that the dealership will say that its not say an internal cracked head b/c they dont want to fix it under warranty. Also if it was an internal crack in the heads what would cause the ticking??? And if it is an exhaust crack on the header how can i spot this?? Thanks.

The more I think about this and read what others are saying, I believe that this is just a noisy valvetrain. Maybe installing performance valve covers that are a little thicker would solve the problem. I am sure I do not have a cracked head. No other associated symtoms like overheating, smoking, power loss, etc. Just clicking.. Tap on the valve covers and you will see how thin they are,, anyone else with suggestions? I do not wan't to use any additives..

I've got a tick too. Also the engine can never make-up it's damned mind as to what RPM it should idle at. All that and the car's begun to "chug" occassionaly on flat roads. (I noticed this before my intake part elimination)

I have noticed that the idle surge only happens when the air conditioner is on. When the clutch kicks in you notice the increase in idle to compensate. I think it is normal operation, just noticeable in this car. Anyone else notice this?

I have a 2000 V6, and had the same problem, the ticking, anf the surging, i took it to the dealer, and the guy test drove it, came back asked me what type of gas i used, i told him the 83, he sain not to use it, it is bad for the car. He said use the 89, so i switched, and the ticking has stoped, and the surging has stoped, it may take a few tanks but run the 89 in it ans see if it wont help.

Good luck

Thx for the advice. I am not sure about running mid grade all the time. I knew someone who did that and the throttle body and egr valve had to be replaced at 40,000 miles. Dealer told her not to run anything but 87. Took mine in to dealer and they said there is a service bulletin on the exhaust where water drips on the pipe. They ordered a part and had a local muffler shop repair. Car is much quieter now.

I drive a 2001 V6 with just and Air hog filter, and dual 40 series flowmasters. i hear that same damn tick all the time. i have about 38k on the odo... i was listing to the engine the other day and on the passenger side rear valve is where my tick comes from any one else hear it there? i think the rings in that valve may be causing the problem V6 owner wide (at least the 99 model and up) and maybe new heads and pistons along with new rings can solve the problem... i of course will execute this small project to see if it solves the probly-oesh

i have a 2001 3.8 with 73,000 miles give or take. i have a ticking sound when i rev the motor or accelerate quickly...if i hold a speed it doesn't do it. one of my friends thought it might be a cam going bad...but a mechanic suggested trying a higher rated octane & if that doesn't help take it in for a tune up. what i was wondering is if anyone might have other suggestions.

I'm glad I'm not the only one....

My 2000 has 53,000+ miles on it, and I have been hearing that tick since I purchased it with 29,000 miles on it. It doesn't do it all the time, but when it does it is a consistant rhythm tick that makes me think of an exhaust leak or valvetrain tick. I hope someone will come up with a definitive explaination of what causes this particular car/engine combo to do this. I hate telling anyone that ask "It's a V6 Mustang. They all do it."
I've also noticed the "surge" a couple of times. But like someone already stated, I noticed it only happened when the A/C was on.