2002 Mustang Ac/battery Gage Issue

Gretch

Sep 2, 2014
While sitting idle the AC stopped working and then I noticed the battery gage was moving to the far left; the engine was not running hot. I parked my car and turned off the engine, when I started it back up it didn't start immediatley. I let my car sit for about 10 minutes and then it started up again. I drove it home without the AC or running the radio. Would I be having an alternator issue? Thank you for any feedback.

• Sponsors (?)

Did you take a peek under the hood? Is the serpentine belt still in place? This would be the first logical explanation of why the battery gauge went crazy and the A/C stopped working. The car not wanting to start after you turned it off might have been an indication that it was hot, especially because it started up after letting it sit. With the water pump not circulating coolant in the system, the temp gauge is only sensing the coolant right there in the intake coolant passage.

The belt is where I would start anyways, but it could be an electrical related failure.

Thank you for your response. Yes, I peeked under the hood LOL.....the serpentine belt was replaced about 4 months ago and I checked to see if there were any signs of damage and it looks good, also check all the fluids and those are normal. Anyway, the car is running fine now, but I know I need to get it to a mechanic for a thorough check....money tight. Thanks again for your post.