2002 Mustang Gasket Hell... Advice Please!

dta5207

Jun 26, 2012
Just had my v6 with 124k miles serviced for the AC and the Thermostat. The service guy also said that I need both exhaust manifolds replaced because of warping. He also said that the Intake gaskets upper and lower, the Timing Cover Gasket needed to be replaced. He quoted me $2800. That seems insane since DIY is like $300 for all that.

Opinions?

• Sponsors (?)

well, the header work is a pain in the ass for sure. I just had to rebuild my sixxer because warped/cracked headers killed my valves, I feel your pain with those but it's better that you get them fixed now definately.

as far as the gaskets, it couldn't hurt. But as far as it being necessary, that's questionable, as long as there's no leaks then they should be fine. I wouldn't do anything to them unless I needed to if I were you, if money is on your mind.

if you think you can do the work, order the gasket set/headers and go to town, and good luck.

it just depends on what tools you have available and how well you can use them. I didn't have to change the driver's side header because we put a new one on that side and the old one on the passenger side when we threw the motor back into the car, but when we realized the other one was bad too I did have to change that one out, and it took a little over an hour. It's frustrating work but if you're patient enough it's not the worst. The most difficult part is probably going to be getting the EGR fitment off with the header and angling it out of the engine bay. As far as the bolts and such go, the nuts usually come off first, but that's not enough to get the headers out. The studs will stay in the block, but you can take them out.

It works pretty well to take out the longest ones first and then the front ones that will be easier to reach later. Just be absolutely sure you don't cross thread them when putting the new manifold on, then you'll have a whole world of difficult on your hands with tapping and such.

Good luck, hope it works out.

I chose to just leave the EGR tube on. Not sure how they think that it is possible to take it off first. Anywho... I sold that piece of junk last week for a break even. Too doggy. I think the harmonic balancer was off. Looking at a 2005 GT Premium. Drives great. Picking it up on Monday for $8500 with 120k miles... Ha Ha talked a dealership down from 10K because of the rusted... wait for it... EXHAUST MANIFOLDS!!!! ... ha ha.... Ding Ding Ding Round Two..... :p GO FORD!

Here is my video....

Check it out!