2002 Mustang GT - Installing Sony Head Unit to Mach 1000 System

desertdave79

Jul 29, 2007
I've gotten pretty far with this but I need some advice. I have the Metra 70-5519 harness I need with 2 RCA plugs, 2 black wires, and 2 blue wires. Here are my questions:

1. I learned that the 2 blue and 2 black wires on the Metra harness are to activate the amp, but what should I connect them to? Do they connect to the black and red wires on the main 16-pin harness? Should I solder those together?

2. The Metra harness plugs into a small harness from the car. But, there is a second, larger harness with only 3 wires connected to it that I have no idea what to do with? One of the wires is white/orange and the other 2 are blue/red.

Okay, in the pic on the left you can see two of the three harnesses from the car (the main 16-pin harness is excluded). The pic on the right shows the Metra 70-5519 harness I bought. Now, the smaller orange plug goes into the white plug on the Metra harness. The RCA plugs obviously go to the head unit. However, this leaves the larger orange plug from the car unconnected with its 1 wht/orng and 2 blu/blk wires. Also I need to connect the 2 blue and 2 black wires from the Metra harness to something to activate the amp. I also read something about using a 1k resistor here on the blue wires from the Metra harness to stop a "popping" sound from occurring when you start the car!?

I need specific directions about where to do with the extra wires I have. For example, something like "Connect the 2 blue wires on the Metra harness to the *COLOR* wire(s) on the ???? harness coming from the ????" and "Connect the larger orange plug's wires to ????" Can anyone help? I'm SO close!!!

Attachments

• Large and Small.jpg
    Large and Small.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 429
  • Metra harness whole.jpg
    Metra harness whole.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 530
  • Sponsors (?)

Connect the 2 blue wires on the metra harness to the blue with a white stripe wire on the aftermarket radio harness. You will also need to add a resistor inline on the blue/white wire. 1000k will work, I usually use 1500k. If you don't use a resistor the turn-on pop is pretty loud. Next, connect the two black wires together with the black wire on the main harness. The third plug with only three wires is not generally used. Good luck.

I did exactly that and it works great! I almost connected it to the solid blue wire but realized that's for the antenna before doing that. I also started with 2 resistors on the 2 wires from the Metra harness side, but instead put a single resistor on the blue/white wire from the main harness, then attached those two wires to the other end. I'll attach a pic of the finished product. It's not very clear but hopefully you can see enough to get the idea. The long wire connects the Metra harness to the main harness and that is the blue/white connection for the amp. The shorter wire is the black ground wire connections for the amp ground.

Attachments

• Wiring solution smaller.jpg
    Wiring solution smaller.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 513