2002 Mustang GT Rear End Squeak

Mason_norris1

Jun 27, 2020
Ohio
Hi everyone, this is my first post on here so we’ll see how it goes. I’ll try to describe the squeak the beat I can. When I drive there is a squeak coming from the rear end of the car, the faster I move the faster the squeak gets. Almost sounds like a bird chirp or a cricket sound. THE SOUND COMPLETELY GOES AWAY WHEN I CLICK UP ON THE E BRAKE! I could coast down the road and it goes “squeak squeak squeak”, but as soon as I click up one time on the e brake it completely goes away! Please help! Any suggestions? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a rear brake/caliper/rotor issue. More than likely the rotor is warped and/or the pads are worn causing the "float" of the brake to chirp while in motion. Applying the E-brake or even light brake pedal pressure would diminish or eliminate the sound, as you have found out. This is letting you know you need to check things. My recommendation is to pull both rear brakes, if not all, and do a good inspection. Lube parts as needed when replacing.

If the brakes are not the issue, I had a rear end chirp back with my 04 gt. Ended up being the upper control arm bushings. Dealership replaced the arms and never had a problem again. The car was an 04 and they serviced it around 2006. But check the brakes first.

Mine had the same issue and it ended up being the brake calipers. In my case, it was easy to see because my rear wheels were completely black with brake dust. Try cleaning your wheels and driving a couple of miles. If one wheel is dirtier than the others, you've got a problem.