2002 Mustang GT Test Drive

ea8007

Aug 20, 2010
Yesterday i test drove a Mustang GT as i get out of the car lot and down the road the car starts to not accelerate as good and getting kind of jerky and all of a sudden the engine stops, i pull over and try and crank it and it will not crank, it just turns over and over, also the battery light was on. This dealer has had the car for over 4 months could it be that the battery died while driving it? or is the car a no go?

• Sponsors (?)

Very possible. Today's cars will not run without a strong battery. The days of jump starting a car with a totally dead battery are over.

The battery is needed to provide excitation to the alternator's field coil. Without the battery, the alternator will stop working when the load changes.

The computer controlled engine needs a lot of juice as well as a stable power supply. Expect tons of problems anytime the voltage sags.

For that reason, any diagnosis/repair should start with a review of the battery, battery terminals, and alternator condition. Are they clean and tight? Does the battery hold a charge? Is the alternator producing the needed voltage? Once the battery/charging system is in good condition, the quality of any diagnosis will be improved.

Yesterday i test drove a Mustang GT as i get out of the car lot and down the road the car starts to not accelerate as good and getting kind of jerky and all of a sudden the engine stops, i pull over and try and crank it and it will not crank, it just turns over and over, also the battery light was on. This dealer has had the car for over 4 months could it be that the battery died while driving it? or is the car a no go?

Terminology: "Cranking" typically refers to the starter motor physically rotating the engine. Are you saying that the starter was cranking the engine but that the engine was not firing (that is, attempting to start and run on its own)?

If the battery has enough juice to supply the starter motor ( "...it just turns over and over...") it has more than enough to run the various electronics responsible for managing the drivetrain.

If the car's been on the lot for 4 months it's possible the fuel is contaminated, especially if it's been outdoors the whole of this time. Water in the fuel may cause the sort of behavior you observed. Note that most dealers leave minimal fuel in the tank which can accelerate the degradation.

It's also possible a sensor has died. A crankshaft position sensor may cause this sort of problem as well since without it there will be no ignition. A simple test is to remove a COP and put a plug in the end. Lean the plug against the cylinder head and look for a spark as you crank.

Given the number of Mustangs out there, I'd probably be inclined to walk from a car that left me stranded during a test drive, unless there's some really compelling reason to go after it (cost, condition, mods etc...)

trinity_gt brings up some good points. Frankly, I have gotten so used to ppl saying "starting" when they mean "cranking" and vice versa, that I failed to fully read and understand the OP.

FWIIW, the battery light is supposed to be on during cranking. The battery light will remain on until the alternator is actually charging the battery.

FWIIW2, as others have pointed out, there are multiple possible reasons for the symptom experienced. A fuel related issue perhaps being very near the top.

This is why the forums are so powerful. There are an awful lot of very smart ppl reading these posts. Somebody usually knows the answer.

After further consideration, I agree with trinity_gt with the following disclaimer. I had personal experience test driving a Mustang off of a dealer's lot. Multiple attempts were make to start it. The motor cranked what appeared fast enough to start but would not. I suggested a jump. The 1st attempt after the jumper cables were attached, the car cranked and instantly started.

IMO, the odds favor a fuel related problem or failed sensor. Bad battery possible but not likely.

trinity_gt brings up some good points. Frankly, I have gotten so used to ppl saying "starting" when they mean "cranking" and vice versa, that I failed to fully read and understand the OP.

FWIIW, the battery light is supposed to be on during cranking. The battery light will remain on until the alternator is charging the battery.

FWIIW2, as others have pointed out, there are multiple possible reasons for the symptom experienced. A fuel related issue perhaps being very near the top.

This is why the forums are so powerful. There are an awful lot of very smart ppl reading these posts. Somebody usually knows the answer.

After further consideration, I agree with trinity_gt with the following disclaimer. I had personal experience test driving a Mustang off of a dealer's lot. Multiple attempts were make to start it. The motor cranked what appeared fast enough to start but would not. I suggested a jump. The 1st attempt after the jumper cables were attached, the car cranked and started.

IMO, the odds favor a fuel related problem or failed sensor. Bad battery possible but not likely.

+1, bad fuel sucks. One day my car ran like it was running on 6-7 cylinders even under throttle it just ran like chit. Poured some HEET into the tank as well as an octane booster and she ran fine. Bad gas FTL :nonono:

yesterday i got my mustang 03 from a dealer and today while letting my dad drive it also died with the battery light on. we jumped it and toke it straight to a shop. They ran an eletrical test and found out it wasnt the batter it was the alternator so idk that could be like 300 bucks

Try car-part.com and find a local salvage yard in your area. A salvage yard alternator should be less than $60. The alternator on Mustang GT are VERY easy to change. The hardest part is removing the belt. Best to rent a belt tool from your local autoparts store. Note, a very long breaker bar will work as well.

Remember to disconnect the negative battery terminal before starting the work.