2003 cobra blower belt/pulley help

BullittStangV8

Founding Member
Oct 5, 2002
NJ
im want to buy a blower belt/pulley for a friend with a 2003 cobra. i would like to get 40 hp from it, but the stock tune still needs to be used. should a smaller belt be used? or a pulley? which is better? also how much, and where should i buy it?
Mike

• Sponsors (?)

you should never up the boost without tuning it for that. Running it lean = boom. If the cause of his car blowing the engine is because of you buying him a part then thats your ass. He will be pisted for days to come.

BullittStangV8 said:
im want to buy a blower belt/pulley for a friend with a 2003 cobra. i would like to get 40 hp from it, but the stock tune still needs to be used. should a smaller belt be used? or a pulley? which is better? also how much, and where should i buy it?
Mike

I don't think going to a smaller belt will do anything except make for a tight fit if it is even possible. Now if you change the pulley then you may need to go with a different size belt to keep it tight enough...

Bo

ahhh okay. seems that the pulley idea is out then as a gift then. i dont want to be responsible at all if anything would god forbid happen. :/ i thought that a simple pulley change could add a pound or so of boost and not need a new tune. (addaptive computer) guess not.
Mike

Muscle mustang and fast fords did an article on modding and 03 cobra with a different pulley, and they said it did not need a new tune. It was probably only for a couple of pounds though. If i find the article, Ill let you know.

Ive been doing alot of research on this as well, cause i just got my 03 cobra. I was told that if you went with a 3.1 pullie, you dont need a chip or tune. You will need a smaller belt to limit the belt slip. Also have it professionally installed, because you need a pulley puller to get it on, and that cost about $150. I had a shop quote me $210 for a non-slip pullie, belt, and install.... They said it was good for about 3psi

If you went with the 2.9 or 2.8 pullie, you will then need a chip, smaller belt, plugs, ect... I was then quoted about $500 for everything + install... Not bad for adding about 6 psi... :nice: Hope that helped a lil.... JON