2003 Cobra Coupe/2004 GT Convertible (repost from 4.6 talk)

sisk22

Dec 4, 2007
I'm in the market for a Mustang.. and I'm not sure which path I want to go.

Either spend the extra (not exactly sure how much additional it is) for the Cobra, or go with a Convertible GT. As far as modding a GT, I know Cobra's take mods very well, how does it go with the GT?

What's the average difference in cost? From what I've seen it's ~4k, but I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong place and if someone could point me in the right direction.

Long story short, is the cost-benefit really there for the Cobra? Or is going with a GT the smarter decision?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If your a big boy...id get the GT. The cobra seats dont seem suited to the big guys.
Otherwise 03 cobra all the way...AMAZING machines. Remember I own both and stock for stock or lightly modded to lightly modded. Not even remotely close. Even modding the GT all to heck...and its still not as nice overall, even if its faster.

It depends on how you will use the car. If it is going to be a daily driver in heavy traffic go with the GT with an AT, your left leg will thank you for it. Also, if you like to cruise and don't have a big right foot choose the GT. If you want an ear-to-ear grin go with the Cobra! A few mods go a long way. I am fortunate enough to have one of each. The GT goes to work, the Cobra is for play.

IMO the Cobra is THE car. I meen with the IRS, six-speed and the blower it is a wonderful machine. My cobra is everything I always wanted in a stang and its an old 96. If you are into performance AT ALL the cobra will do more than a complete N/A bolt on GT could ever do stock, and for $1000 more it will beat 90% of turbo or S/C GTs. I have seen alot of 03 Verts for 16-18K with some miles 9ie: 70-90k but fresh rebuilds) and most of them already have new 04 heads and some good mods for 475-500 rwhp. Also every Cobra I have seen seems to be much better maitained than its GT counterpart. My exhaust and chip only Cobra has out run EVERY N/A GT I have gone against, and these guys have cams, p/p intakes, aeros with PI swaps etc. The 4V is a work of art.

Cobra....if you can afford it.

NA 2V is no match for an NA 4V, let alone an 03/04 Cobra. IMO it's either boost or bust for a 2V. You can always build a GT like me, but it'll cost you, and is one reason why I wouldnt recommend this route to just anybody.

Unlike the average GT owner who seems to think their GTs will melt in water, Cobra owners seem to put a lot more effort into keeping their cars clean, though they're (especially terminators) more likely to have been beaten on more than a stock GT. But overall, most Cobras are in better shape than the GTs.