2003 GT - Dash lights not working after stereo install

what i did to test was to connect the -dimmer in the harness to a ground. as soon as i grounded that wire with the lights on the gauges started working.

pull the dimmer switch and check the power and ground connections there. i am willing to bet the ground just burned up. running a new ground solved the problem for me.

• Sponsors (?)

Fuses need to be tested outside of the fusebox. And some fuses will look bad and then after being messed with can look good... especially the old glass ones that aren't like our newer blades. But it can still happen. Even circuit boards for lights can do the same thing. Bend them a bit and they may come back from a broken circuit but eventually it will go out again.

NOT TO HI-JACK THIS POST BUT NEED HELP WITH WIPERS ON 2003 MUSTANG. SOMEONE REMOVED ALARM SYSTEM AND BUTCHERED HARNESS AT GEM, TWO OF THE LEADS HAVE SOMETHING SOLDERED INTO THEM (DIOD? MAYBE OR RESISTOR)
I HAVE GOT EVERYTHING CONTROLLED BY THE GEM WORKING CORRECTLY EXCEPT NO INTERMITTED WIPER AND THE MOTOR WONT PARK. HAVE TESTED WITH KNOWN GOOD MOTOR AND SWITCH ALSO GEM , OTHER PROBLEM IS ROLLING DOOR LOCKS WON'T PROGRAM TO WORK, YES IT IS AUTOMATIC TRANS. WOULDN'T HAVE POSTED HERE BUT CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST NEW. MAYBE HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH BEING 70+ YEARS OLD. NEED WIRING DIAGRAM FOR GEM AND WIPER SYSTEM

I'm hoping some of you guys can help me. A month or so ago I installed a new CD player in my 2003 GT. I used a Metra 70-5519 wiring harness from Best Buy. I ended up running separate wiring to each speaker because the previous owner removed all of the amplifiers and the rear sound bar in the vehicle.

Everything went smoothly, but I accidentally ran the illumination power and illumination ground wires together to the 12v power wire. I have no idea how I did this, but I did. I removed the illumination wires completely so they are not connected. Unfortunately in the process my dash lights no longer work. All of the seat belt, airbag, check engine, etc lights work, but the speedometer, tachometer, engine oil temp, water temp gauges do not have any back light anymore. The gauges themselves work fine, just no lights so I can't see them at night. I have already replaced the headlight switch thinking that I might have blown something internally, but it made no difference. I have checked all of the fuses numerous times and they are all fine. I double and triple checked my wiring, but everything is correct. I just pulled the gauge cluster out a few days ago and checked all of the bulbs, but they are all fine. I even swapped them around with known working bulbs and they are definitely all good.

Can anyone give me any hints on what to check next? I don't care what I have to replace, I just need to get it done! I can't drive my Mustang at night and this is getting really old!

Thanks for anyone's help!
Jon
Hey Jon. Don't know if u figured it out yet but you said u ran your own speaker wires from the harness around to the doors,rear etc.

My new stereo install went bad and I think I shorted dimmer wire. Fuse #37 (adjustable illumination) was blown as well as fuse #32 (Radio + GEM). Now I don't have adjustable lights on the dash, but dash lights up when I crank the dimmer switch till it clicks.

What did I burn apart from two fuses and how do I fix it?

Could I somehow turn off dome lights when running dimmer switch in parking position to get back some lights on my dash?