2003 Mustang Gt Slow In 3rd Gear

austin96

Sep 27, 2017
2003 Mustang GT 5-Speed. The car pulls really hard in 1st and 2nd but it as soon as I shift to 3rd gear it just falls on its face. Is this a common thing with these motors? Would a tune remedy this?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm hoping so. The previous owner installed the 3.73 gears but didn't get a tuner to correct the speedo. I should have enough saved up for a tuner soon so hopefully that fixes it. I think I have a slight exhaust leak at the passenger manifold to midpipe flange, could that be part of it?

Could you provide details regarding "falls on its face". Are the RPMs climbing slower, hesitating etc etc.? Stock 4.6's do not make a lot of power but should pull 3rd gear to over 100mph.

While we are back to life i might as well say what my issue was:
4.56 gears ! lol
Stock tires + 4.56 gear = spin 1st , second, and sometimes the beginning of third if i dont shift into gear fast enough when in clutch. I topped out at 68mph until i removed my Speed Sensor then i was able to hit 98mph (only in a manual trans car can do this) .

(added to post):
The reason it SEEMED slow in third gear was because i shifted into third so quickly. When it finally gained traction i was really suppose to be in 2nd gear.

So when i finally gain traction in third i should shift back down to second. Shifting with wheel torque is an art for sure.

Last edited: