2003 v6 - Power steering drama

tommyj122

Apr 6, 2018
Hello everyone,
I am a new member because I have been dealing with this problem for a long time and would like to reach out to others.

I have done my homework and my fair share of work on my own car, yet I still can't seem to find the solution.

I have the common "whine" problem a lot of people have related to my engine speed coming from the power steering pump.

I originally noticed this problem after I bled the power steering fluid after thinking it was dirty. Stupid right?

I have done many things to isolate the problem such as replace the idler, the alternator, the belt, the lines, the pump itself I have tried a duralast pump (which sucked) and also I pulled a junkyard pump which is what i I'm using now. I have tried ATF, power steering fluid, I have tried bleeding it with a vacuum pump.

Maybe the OEM pump I pulled from the junker was bad?

Maybe I still have air in the system?

I don't understand what could be the problem and could really use some help!

Thanks everyone!

• Sponsors (?)

For a Ford use Mecron V transmission fluid.

Did you at any time HIT the power steering shaft to remove or install the pulley?

It can be difficult to fully bleed a PS pump. In my experience once bubbles get into the fluid then continued operation will make the bubbles even smaller. This makes it even harder to bleed.

STOP the motor the second any bubbles are seen in the fluid.

If the pump still whines then look for a blocked or kinked line.

Last edited:
Hit the power steering shaft? Don't think so, why would this effect the system?

I'm running mercon V currently, no bubbles at all.

I've heard of Lucas additive and also switching to a GM style pump due to the pain of ford pumps.

Hit the power steering shaft? Don't think so, why would this effect the system?

I'm running mercon V currently, no bubbles at all.

I've heard of Lucas additive and also switching to a GM style pump due to the pain of ford pumps.
When dealing with people over the Internet you run across all different skill levels. It happens from time to time that people use use hammer to "install" the power steering pulley. Hitting the shaft to install the pulley even once will damage the internals of the PS pump. Just double checking that only the correct tool to install or remove the PS pump was used.

Just how far has the pulley been pressed onto the PS shaft? I could see a case that if the pulley hasn't been fully pressed on that that could cause problems.

I have put my share of Ford power steering pumps in and haven't had problems with the pumps whining for "no reason". Sometimes it can take more time to find the "reason" for the noise.

Another way to think about this. Ford has used nearly the same power steering pump for a long time. Just think about how many 100's of thousands unit are out in the wild. Does it make sense that the failure rate that the forums suggest?

Last edited: