2004 Mustang GT looking 4 1st upgrades

Iyzak

Oct 22, 2009
Friend bought a 2004 Ford Mustang GT convertable; looking to do his 1st upgrades
i'm a fox body guy so i'm telling him gears, headers, and sub frame connectors for really cheap and effective upgrades

however, he wants cut out his cats do an exhaust which is fine
but then he saw in a magazine a advertisement for a
Cold Air Intake; Throttle Body; Upper Plenium for $250 and claims to add 40hp
personally i can't see 40hp out of that

whats yall suggestions on building up a 2004 GT 2v 4.6 motor?

• Sponsors (?)

I would also recommend gears, exhaust, and sub frames (still new to the mod motors myself though). Not sure that a CAI, TB, and plenum are going to make a real big difference on a stock stang. If he wants to feel a difference for that price range, I've read that hand held tuners can be a worthwhile upgrade.

magazine a advertisement for a
Cold Air Intake; Throttle Body; Upper Plenium for $250 and claims to add 40hp
personally i can't see 40hp out of that

:rlaugh::lol::rlaugh::lol::rlaugh::lol::rlaugh:

Tell your friend that he is an idiot if he actually believes that garbage.

Best bang for the buck = gears!

If he wants to stay NA than full exhaust is where you are going to get the most gains with bolt ons. In the sn95 cars headers are not the easiest to put in so take that in mind (removing the k member etc etc.). Subframes are a must in our cars.

Other than that you are on the right track- other great first mods that haven't been mentioned:
1) Shifter
2) Springs (no more 4x4 look yay!)

Convertible= first mod should be without a doubt subframes. To really 'build up' a 2v bolt ons won't do it. I have every bolt on minus underdrive pullies and if I were to go back it would be as simple as supercharger and exhaust simply to let the sc breathe better.

Subframes and short throw shifter are the 2 mods I would do no questions asked and should have been factory.

Definitely sub-frame connectors, and -- if the car is all stock -- new shocks, struts, springs, and sways. Those changes will completely transform the car. Also, I absolutely LOVE my FR500 steering wheel -- as it is something you use all the time, it makes a huge difference in the driving experience. As for horsepower, the low-lying fruit here is the CAI, a Magnaflow catback, and under-drive pullies. IMO, beyond these three, you will have to spend quite a bit of money (unless doing the labor yourself in the case of headers) for only marginal gains. Also, I would stay away from gears unless you will be racing it quite a bit (I know that it is a not a popular paradigm in these forums, but it is my opinion ...).

Oh, and a new shifter if it is a manual. No question about that ...

Gears are a blast and, if you stay out of it, they don't change your gas mileage much. In my 03 and 07 GT's, 4.30's still got me between 27 and 30 mpg on the highway. That's for a stick, I don't know about an auto.