2004 Mustang GT - Shocks and Struts

silver04stang

Sep 29, 2004
Hi Everyone,

I am already installing MM caster camber plates for my 2004 Mustang GT (5spd), so since my car has over 76000 miles now, I figured i'd replace the shocks and struts too. Anyone have any suggestions on what brand of shocks and struts to get? What has worked well for you?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

• Sponsors (?)

I too would like some info on this.

Hate to hijack, but anyone know much about the Tokico HP series? They seem to be the cheapest (which appeases me, the budget minded racer, very much), but I don't know anything about the quality, and I won't be getting them if they aren't any good.

-Will

My buddy has the Tokico HP's on his car & they are pretty good for the price. The ride is softer than Bilsteins, but they won't handle as well, or last as long...

Bilstein's FTW!!!

I bought 2004 take offs with 5 miles on them. It cost me all of 70$, including picking them up and installing myself... and best of all, rides just like when it rolled off the assembly line. My opinion is, that ford did all the engineering and testing work to produce the best match... and it is cheap, which makes me happy. :)

I got Gabriel shocks/struts for my old GT at AutoZone. The shocks were $19 each and the struts were $30 each. Of course they were not as mad tyte as Bilsteins btu the price is right. For a little more money Monroe makes a nice set of SensaTracks.

I bought 2004 take offs with 5 miles on them. It cost me all of 70$, including picking them up and installing myself... and best of all, rides just like when it rolled off the assembly line. My opinion is, that ford did all the engineering and testing work to produce the best match... and it is cheap, which makes me happy. :)

Yeah , my stockers just wont die, 65k and they still seem new.
On my 99 GT I replaced all four stockers at 80k and only the rear shocks
were cooked. I went with the KYB non adjustables. They are cheaper
than most, and were very good quality, firmer than stock.

Bilsteins give a great ride and I wouldn't trade them for the world. They are expensive but have a lifetime warranty. When I went cheap on my 96GT I got Ford Racing C springs and KYB AGX adjustables. I was pleased with this setup for the price. It is nothing like my current setup though.

bilsteins work great for a mild street suspension with springs and bushings and all that good stuff. even with aftermarket k-members they work well. but for what i got planned for the near future mine wont cut it and will need adjustable units.

Had them on my current springs (Vogtland, hte manufacturer of Steeda's and several import brands I think..)and the ride quality was good. I had GR2's in the front and gas a just shocks in the rear. The car rode solid and smooth, but it wasn't stiff enough for me.

For those who have money but not the amount to buy Bilstein's or Koni's, the next best thing is my Tokico D Specs. They are extremely adjustable from the strut or shock towers and can make the car ride smooth or stiff depending on how you feel. I will eventually be going coilover in the front and torque arm in the rear, so although Tokico's cant be run in the rear with a coilover the torque arm springs will cover me there..