2004 MUSTANG SUDDEN AND UNWANTED ACCELERATION

40thponygirl

Mar 9, 2006
Hi everyone I own a 2004 v6 coupe 40th ann edtion and today I passed a car and the car kept accelerating faster and faster and the crusie was not engaged after hitting 75 mph and no let up I appleid the brake brought it back down to 55 mph and let off the brake and off we went again ( I like speed but when I want it lol ) I then braked down to a stop the engine was still going at a very high rpm so I shut the car off and restarted it so far there have been no more problems . I have and appt at the dealer for tommorow since the car is still under factory warranty (20,000 miles) Can anyone tell me whay and what caused this .Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Try having someone push the gas pedal down over and over (with the engine off) and see if anything under the hood is snagging the cable. Also check to make sure the throttle return spring isn't broken.

If that's not it, I dunno.

Maybe try getting an old priest and a young priest? :shrug:

Since you restarted it you said there haven't been any problems, so I'm guessing it's a snagged throttle cable, or a stuck pulley.. let us know what they say.

update

They didnt hook it up to the computer as I requested and they insist it was the carpeting hang on the pedal I disagree ..... The car was way more powerful than it had every been or has been since .I feel it was something with the electronics .I plan to take it to another dealer when I have time

Dunno if this will relate to your year 'Stang, but I had the same problem years back on my 94 V6. the car would constantly accelerate no matter what I did. Turns out the IAC valve (used to let air in to the engine when you're at idle) wasn't closing all the way - it kept letting extra air in. Replaced it, and the problem went away.

I have a similar problem with mine. Under hard acceleration the throttle sticks. Press the gas down hard and get going, let off the gas and the car will continue to go faster and rpms rise. Problem only happens when you really get on the gas.

40thponygirl ,
Since you're car's still under warranty, get everything checked out that you can. I have a problem with the throttle sticking but It's already past factory warranty, so i'm just going to leave it. It feels weird how the car just continues to go faster, i was lucky and there hasn't yet been anyone very close in front of me to hit them.

sgarlic said:
Those kinds of answers from Ford is why there are a lot of people in this country who simply refuse to buy Ford, period.

Ok first thing.

Ford does not work on your car, we are all independantly owned dealers and us service techs are employed by the dealer.

second thing.

not all service techs are good. some of my co workers I would not let near my car with a wrench even if both my arms were cut off. I rather work on it myself with my toes.

This is not just on fords, many dealers ( imports too) to save cost hire crappy $10 a hour glorified lube techs and call them mechanics. this is not fair to the customer or to us real professional techs. I don't like being lumped in with these clowns. Many of us invest a lot of time and money into this trade, and there is a LOT to learn before your decent at it. I think it takes about 5 years to get decent and thats if you have a brain and are willign to learn. Some still suck no matter how long they work on cars. So you can either be lucky and have a pro get your car, or you can end up with some punk who the day before was at jiffy lube leaving the oil out of cars.

If i was the person with this car I would get all the floor mats out of the way and have somebody watch the TB, then work the pedal up and down and see if anything binds.

chances are it was the floormat. 9-10 times it is.​