2004 vs 2005

jeffro1371582

Apr 28, 2004
I have a question.

I just graduated from University and I am buying my first car. I really like the 2004 look and I especially like the convertible. However, the 2005 has a great interior and I am not sure which I should choose. I am sure I can get a 2004 convertible for close to the same price as a 2005 coupe in September due to incentives etc. Whats you opinion.....

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I think the first thing you have to decide is whether you want a vert or a coupe. In my opinion, the 94-04 Mustang verts look better than the pics I've seen of the 05 vert mule.

You could always buy a used late model Mustang if you want a ragtop, though I have no doubt that the 05 will be a better car.

jeffro1371582 said:
I have a question.

I just graduated from University and I am buying my first car. I really like the 2004 look and I especially like the convertible. However, the 2005 has a great interior and I am not sure which I should choose. I am sure I can get a 2004 convertible for close to the same price as a 2005 coupe in September due to incentives etc. Whats you opinion.....

Thanks

I'll admit to prejudice - my first car was a convertible, and I've never liked being without one. There's nothing like the top down and the wind in your hair (what's left of it, in my case!!). And with the top up, there's no real difference except that the convertible has a much lower CG and is less likely to roll. If it does roll, the strengthened windshield frames in all newer cars make it as safe as a hardtop.

Unless you're racing it, where the slightly stiffer body is an advantage, I say go with the convertible. You've put in your hard work at the University, got your degree.... you've earned it!!

> > > "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention
> > > of arriving safely in a handsome and well-preserved body
> > > but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally
> > > worn out and loudly proclaiming..........
> > >"WOW, what a ride that was!!!"

First, I am a bit partial to hardtops, and like convertibles when I am on a vacation.

Having just had the opportunity to sit in a real 2005 Mustang today in San Diego, and seeing it right up against all other Mustangs from the 60's to the now, I would vote for the 2005. The only way I could see buying a current Stang right now new is if you were looking for a Mach1 or a Cobra.

I also own a 2000GT (which I love), and I like features from both. I don't think the 2000 interior is as bad as some make it, but the 2005 was definetely more comfortable. It had more legroom, a nicely sized steering wheel, and a great stance. If you are locked on to a convertible, I would consider waiting for the new one and driving something else until then.

Simple. Wait until October. At that time, test drive the 1999+ and 2005; then make your decision. While the 2005 is supposed to be vastly superior, no one knows for sure how it's going to handle, feel, etc. Therefore, while people can give you judgements on appearance, no one can accurately compare the two cars, giving worthwhile opinions. Congratulations on your graduation by the way.