2005 Ford Mustang GT is the "Best Muslce Car"

• Sponsors (?)

JonJon said:
compared to what? (i don't get C&D)

They compared it to last years winners. The other nominees are either new or significantly updated for 2005. The list of nominees also had to meet three further criteria: Base price no higher then 70k; Must be scheduled to go on sale no later than January 2005; Finally, the automakers had to cough up thier wares by mid-September for C&Ds evalution process. They tested 44 cars in all and picked the best for 10 different catagories.

The Mustang won "Best Muslce Car" of 2005 :D

Stang2k5 said:
January's Car and Driver picks the 2005 Mustang GT as "The Best Muscle Car" :D

What do I say to Car and Driver? Tell us something we didn't already know! OK, maybe the GTO guys need Car and Driver's approval. :D Oh, and the GTO does out 1/4 the Mustang, you know , /Oliver Stone/ because Pontiac probably used a ringer car. /Oliver Stone/

I still don't understand why everyone calls them muscle cars though, that slightly annoys me. The new stang and GTO are both pony cars, then again we don't really have many muscle cars anymore so I guess pony cars filled that slot.

03 SVT VERT said:
I still don't understand why everyone calls them muscle cars though, that slightly annoys me. The new stang and GTO are both pony cars, then again we don't really have many muscle cars anymore so I guess pony cars filled that slot.
i can understand calling the mustang a pony car, thats what it is. But by the definition of the words "muscle car" the GTO is it. THe 64 GTO is concidered the first muscle car and for that I think even GTO owners today can clain their peices of junk are at least muscle cars. :flag:

Quit hating on the GTO. It's a great car, and I love the understated looks.

I prefer the mustang (which also has understated looks....but also tons of heritage), but both are great cars and very close in total performance.

The GTO is too heavy and too costly for me to give it my approval though.

I agree, from driving the GTO I wouldn't say it is that much of a muscle car, although it does have a nice cam lope at idle.

I consider it more of a refined sports coupe.

Wouldn't the GTO's huge HP and torque advantage clearly make it more of what most consider a muscle car. 0-60 in 4.6 secs. is impressive and about half a second faster than the mustang.

dannygat said:
i can understand calling the mustang a pony car, thats what it is. But by the definition of the words "muscle car" the GTO is it. THe 64 GTO is concidered the first muscle car and for that I think even GTO owners today can clain their peices of junk are at least muscle cars. :flag:

Actually many people out there would consider the original Chrysler 300's (the letter cars) the original muscle cars (the 57 300C being the big boy out of the bunch... It was that car, everyone was trying to keep up with, during the start of this whole craze...

A muscle car wasn't just defined by power, if you grew up in the 60's/70's then you would know a muscle car was always a full size car (5 or 6 seats), while a pony car was always a smaller car with 4 seats. A pony car kinda filled the gap between american sports car and american muscle car. The new GTO and the new mustang only have 4 seats, so both are really pony cars. The new 300C/Hemi Magnum is one of the few cars produced today that is a true muscle car: affordable, powerfull, full sized.

Don't get me wrong. I think the GTO is a great car :nice: Its just a little too pricey and bland looking for my tastes. Other than that I think its an awesome performer and I am glad the automakers have started making cars that can fit into the muscle category once again :D