2005 Gt W/flared Fenders And Coilovers- Tire Clearance Question

timhypo

Jan 1, 2004
So, I have a black 2005 GT and love the road-race cars of the 70s, in particular the 'ZG' style flares that were popular on Datsun 240zs. I also love the classic musclecar wheels and currently an running a set of 17x9 or 17x8 (I forget - used wheels) Torque Thrust mags for that reason. Because may car's black, I'm thinking of running the 'ZG' style flares in their stock flat black. I MIGHT go carbon fiber, but only if there's actually a weight savings worthy of the cost difference AND I'd paint them flat black, as they're a little 'import tuner-ish' for me. Anyone have any documentation or experiences with what size wheels/tires I could run with these flares? Given the car's prediliction for spinning the tires, the fact that I have a 4.11 kit sitting in my closet that will only exacerbate that problem, and the fact that I'm spending my tax money on either nitrous or supercharging - I'm gonna need all the rubber on the road that I can get. I read in another thread that there's nothing to gain in the old road-racing trick of rolling the fenders for clearance My tires currently stick out just a touch, in that 'euro lowrider' kind of way that was big in the 90s, but aren't full-blown 'skateboarded' like most of those cars.

Here's a couple pics:
MustangRear.jpg Photo by timhypo | Photobucket
FOGLAMPS.jpg Photo by timhypo | Photobucket

I'm thinking about going with coilovers, as well. Stance is super-important to me, initially from my days into the lowriders then enhanced later with I got into traditional kustoms and hot rods. In the 50s, they could spot a proper hot rod from a jalopy from a mile away due to the stance of the dropped axle, channeled body (in the eastern US - highboys were more common on the west coast due to bumper height laws), etc from a mile away Now that I have this car, I still need to get it right. I'd also like to run some SCCA, so the adjustability of even inexpensive coilovers is attractive to me. If anyone has pics of a car of this era that 'got it right' when it comes to stance, please share.

• Sponsors (?)