2005 Mustang GT DiabloSport CAI Calibrations

NickDiabloSport

Apr 1, 2005
2005 Mustang Cold Air Calibrations

Due to the new electronics and engine management system in the 2005
Mustang GT, tuning has become much more sensitive to the addition
of aftermarket parts such as cold air kits.

Our 2005 Mustang GT manufacturer specific calibrations are produced on
our in-house dyno on multiple vehicles under various conditions and
therefore the calibrations are explicitly made for that specific manufacturer’s cold
air kit.

DiabloSport can not be held responsible for modified vehicles being run with out calibrations specific to the application.

Use of the standard U7140 Mustang GT calibration on cold air intake modified vehicles, or calibrations not specifically made for a cold air intake kit manufacturer.

Use of standard performance tune U7140 2005 Mustang GT Predator with CAI systems does NOT work properly, will set off SES lights, and experience loss of power.

Use of manufacturer specific or the recommendation to download the wrong manufacturer custom calibration, to work with a CAI systems does NOT work properly, will set off SES lights, and experience loss of power.

These calibrations are designed for SPECIFIC cold air systems and should
not be used in conjunction with any other manufacturers systems; failure to do so may result in poor running conditions or damage to your vehicle.

DiabloSport wishes only to educate both dealers and customers to this effect. There is to much talk of 2005 GT DiabloSport CAI calibrations not working to their full potential. When we know we are making great power and having perfect drivability in manual as well as automatic applications, if the proper calibrations are used for specific applications.

Please look at what manufacturer CAI your running vs. what Predator calibration your flahing to the vehicle. Call your DiabloSport or CAI dealer if you have questions about application.

Thank you,

DiabloSport Performance Tuning Management

• Sponsors (?)

TTT -

Just want to emphasize the importance of the content of this post.
Running CAI require manufacturer specific custom tuning for optimal power and running conditions.

See your local CMR performance tuning dealer if your not running with a Predator specific to your manufacturer CAI kit. You will know for sure if the manufacturers name flashes across the Predator screen on power up, if not the calibration with adjustment will work, but not to the maximum potential horsepower and torque gains, and may experience less the optimal drivability, and even SES lights.

Thanks
Nick Spinelli
DiabloSport National Sales Manager

Nick can you tell me what other parameters besides thr A/F ratio and timing need to be changed. I am currently building my own custom CAI and would like more info please. After the CAI is built I will be taking the car to Mike Dez Racing for a custom tune.

It would be hard to do more then offer opinion on what you might need to do for your custom application. The 05 GT is more sensitive to inlet change them we have seen in past Ford vehicles, so where and how you may relocate the MAF sensor, or effect the air flow in or out of the meter is critical.

Shape, size, radius of bends, the CAI systems on the market can vary, not having seen what your doing, it requires some dyno time to really know what each system likes for optimal power/torque and of course safety.

CAI systems in general will generate leaner running conditions, but this is a simple explanation. I can assure you we do allot more then add fuel to the 05 GT to make it run and drive properly with CAI.

Part of the confusion on the market today is the simple fact that people are running tunes with CAI that have not been properly calibrated for that specific system. YES, it does matter. The dyno and drivability show us just how much these vehicles are affected by the sometime subtle differences.

Mike Dez Racing, a CMR dealer, can contact Scott Beer at our DiabloSport Performance Tuning office if he has specific questions about the calibration after making some dyno runs.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli

Nick, can you please answer a question for me? I am using the Diablo sport in my 05 gt and the performance tune is very slugish and not performing well at all. I am using the stock intake and all I have is a K&N drop in filter, I also tried using the regular filter and still the same performance. The 91 octane tune works great for me and im using good 93 octane fuel so thats not the issue. I've tried numerous times to contact Scott at diablo to no avail, and im just waiting for a revision now to show up on the web site to solve the problem. I've talked to several other people who have been experiencing the same problem with the 93 octane tune. I think the Diablo sport is a great tuner and I don't want to give up on it. I love the adjustability the tuner gives and it is truely a great tool. I just need to get this one issue solved. Thanks for any info you can provide,.............Craig

DiabloSport will be releasing a new revision in the next few days that address's some of the issue's that exist in a limited number of vehicle's, specific to one Ford calibration. We will also be adding some new features to the Predator. I am not at liberty to speak in specifics, until the revision is released, things are always subject to change and I don't want to make false promises.

Watch the website: http://www.diablosport.com/Downloads.php for the new revision.

We are always testing on the dyno.We have been hard at work on a number on nitros oxide system tunes, and will be releasing with several supercharger manufacturers in the coming weeks.

Some of the feature's customers are requesting are being looked at as well, but keep in mind we can only address what the vehicle allows. The new operating system is an exciting new challenge, and time is needed sometimes to work through and find ways to accomplish tasks.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli

OK,

Let me see if I have this correct. Say that I want to put a cat back exhaust and a CAI on my 05. Do I need to get a tuner with a custom tune for the specific type of CAI I purchase? Do I need to take the car to get it dyno tuned? Do I need to do both?

I am really new to modifications and dont want to do anything that will be detrimental to my car, so I want to gather as much as possible first.

Thanks for any help.

OUKimber said:
OK,

Let me see if I have this correct. Say that I want to put a cat back exhaust and a CAI on my 05. Do I need to get a tuner with a custom tune for the specific type of CAI I purchase? Do I need to take the car to get it dyno tuned? Do I need to do both?

I am really new to modifications and dont want to do anything that will be detrimental to my car, so I want to gather as much as possible first.

Thanks for any help.

The CIA requires a reflash with a tuner, the Catback does not. So in your instance, you get the CIA, catbacks and tuner and a custom tune for the specific CIA.

But I wouldn't necessarily have to go and get the car dyno'd correct? As long as the custom tune for the specific type of CAI I purchase works well?

Next question. Who makes CAI's that already have a tested and reliable custom tune? I have seen Steeda mentioned. Is there much performance difference between different CAI's?

Sorry for all these basic questions.

OUKimber said:
OK,

Thanks for any help.

I'm really glad you're asking these questions. I've been wondering many of the same things. The oddest thing to me was that no one could really give me a straight answer. It would seem to me that if a modification is going to be altering your a/f ratio, you're going to need a flash tune. Things like exhaust and pullies (not sure on this one) don't seem to need a flash tune. In addition, I notice that the tuners (predator and the xcal) have 87, 91, and 93 octane performance tunes. If you were to get a Steeda CAI and you also wanted to utilize the 91 octane performance tune...do you just get Steeda's CAI file, flash the 91 octane file, and then flash the Steeda file?

OUKimber said:
Next question. Who makes CAI's that already have a tested and reliable custom tune? I have seen Steeda mentioned.

Based on the downloads available on Diablosport's website, it looks like there are tunes for C&L CAI and the Steeda CAI. I'm sure there will be more as time goes on. I beleive JLT is working on one as well. I also know that JMS has a kit that comes with CAI kit as well as an SCT Xcal with custom tune, doesn't look like they have a Predator tune though.

To address the question of custom calibrations specific to a manufacturer’s CAI, we made the Steeda and C&L calibrations on our dyno and worked closely with the manufacturer’s to make them with power, drivability and A/F ratio for these kits and their specific designs and flow characteristics.

Dyno tuning is not needed, but is always a benefit. Running a vehicle on the dyno, looking at A/F and adjusting with the Predator will generally pick up some power. Every vehicle is different, and there is usually some power to be had.

If you’re not using one of these kits, by name, you should not run a calibration for them, or a non-CAI calibration. The results will be a loss of power, poor running vehicle and a SES light condition.

To properly run a CAI other then the manufacturer’s specific, you will need a CMR dealer and have some dyno work done for maximum power and a good safe calibration. Adjusting some one else’s calibration will work, but not to the maximum potential performance, or safety, achievable for your Mustang.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli

Nick,

I know that these cars are all the same, but they are also a little different. When you all form a calibration for a specific type of CAI (eg. steeda or C&L), I am assuming that you make the calibration so that it is safe and effective for all the 05's with that CAI.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but this is the impression that I get. If I want to add a decent performance mod, I can get a CAI and a tuner with a specific calibration for that type of CAI. This will be sufficient to get me some added performance while still being safe for my car. But if I want to get the maximum benefit from the CAI, I need to have my car dyno'd and custom tuned for. This is where the 'every car is a little different' comes into play, and the person doing the tune can put my car at the perfect limit for my particular car.

Is that a fair assesment?

NickDiabloSport said:

DiabloSport wishes only to educate both dealers and customers to this effect. There is to much talk of 2005 GT DiabloSport CAI calibrations not working to their full potential. When we know we are making great power and having perfect drivability in manual as well as automatic applications, if the proper calibrations are used for specific applications.

Please look at what manufacturer CAI your running vs. what Predator calibration your flahing to the vehicle. Call your DiabloSport or CAI dealer if you have questions about application.

Thank you,

DiabloSport Performance Tuning Management

While this is much appreciated, there was a problem with the Performance tune and specifically the Steeda CAI performance tune.

I know, because I had the problem. While I definatly appreciate the legal disclaimers, it was quite annoying to wait several weeks for a fix. It was finally released on April 4th and it did solve the soft spot in the throttle.

I think the predator is a great tool and really easy to use. However, There were many users with this problem. I am a little surprised it got through quality control.

In our own defense, DiabloSport works hard on these calibrations, driving and testing on the dyno, as many vehicles as possible. The issue with throttle response is drivability, and sometimes you don’t see these types of issues in every vehicle, and comparison from vehicle to vehicle seat of the pants and through road testing can be tricky to pick up.
Not to sound like I am making excuses, but sometimes these issues are only seen after customers, in quantity, who drive their vehicles daily, before and after modifying them, bring these issues to our attention.

DiabloSport is the only flash programmer in the aftermarket industry that offers the features of calibration adjustability, diagnostics, data monitoring and logging, custom programming, and last but not least, it is updatable through the internet.

As your vehicle changes and you feel the need for more power the Predator can be modified and never grows old. As we find improvements to a calibration, or add features to the Predator line, you can go on line and update your tool.

You can’t get that anywhere else.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli

NickDiabloSport said:
In our own defense, DiabloSport works hard on these calibrations, driving and testing on the dyno, as many vehicles as possible. The issue with throttle response is drivability, and sometimes you don’t see these types of issues in every vehicle, and comparison from vehicle to vehicle seat of the pants and through road testing can be tricky to pick up.
Not to sound like I am making excuses, but sometimes these issues are only seen after customers, in quantity, who drive their vehicles daily, before and after modifying them, bring these issues to our attention.

DiabloSport is the only flash programmer in the aftermarket industry that offers the features of calibration adjustability, diagnostics, data monitoring and logging, custom programming, and last but not least, it is updatable through the internet.

As your vehicle changes and you feel the need for more power the Predator can be modified and never grows old. As we find improvements to a calibration, or add features to the Predator line, you can go on line and update your tool.

You can’t get that anywhere else.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli

I think the DSP is a great tool. :nice: There were 3 issues that I felt could be adressed in the process. IMHO they all were communication based.

1. The turn-around time was lengthy in my opinion. No reason was supplied for this.
2. The only method of contact is a One way "Do Not Reply" submit form.
3. The lack of information on the website that the problem existed and an ETA to fix, as well as, some blurb of what to do in the mean time. (i.e. pull the mods off or just wait because there is no concern of engine damage etc...).

I am not trying to be a pain, but once you mod up your car, pulling mods off because of a bad tune just sucks. But not knowing what to do or how long a problem is going to exist just adds to the burn.

I may have not added to this post, but know I put it in others, the fact that several additional features are being added to the Predator for 2005 Mustang GT and this is the reason for the time it has taken to post the new revision.

The forms used on the website for allowing customers to report issues could always be better, and we will address your concerns.

The throttle "soft spot" issue is a drivability issue. Creates no danger to the vehicle and is not experienced by all. Engineering felt they could complete their revision update and add the new features quickly enough to satisfy us and our customers. Can not make everyone happy, but the need to post a calibration revision then come back a few days later and do another revision for the updated features was not what engineering and management thought was right for anyone.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli