2005 V6 valvetrain... wtf?

I understand that - the tools engage the slots in the camshafts and hold them in place.

The question was about the jackshaft. What keeps it from turning when I'm torquing the sprocket bolts at each end?

(I'll watch the video when I'm able - at the moment we're having a little network trouble.)

• Sponsors (?)

I understand that - the tools engage the slots in the camshafts and hold them in place.

The question was about the jackshaft. What keeps it from turning when I'm torquing the sprocket bolts at each end?

(I'll watch the video when I'm able - at the moment we're having a little network trouble.)
When torquing the jackshaft, you'll have holders on the front camshaft sprocket and the crankshaft sprocket with two chains in place. It's not spinning.

cam tools.jpg

Well, I think we got a handle on this. I'm still creeped out by the just-tighten-the-jackshaft-bolt-and-believe-that-the-shaft-won't-rotate-despite-being-held-by-nothing thing, but it seemed to work. The Cloyes video helped a lot (thank you very much, MustangIIMatt), and was the first time I'd seen that plastic oil metering stick explained - until then we were wondering why the hell we got that and its setscrew in the kit. I decided to do a practice assembly pass with the old bolts, and once I was satisfied that the procedure worked, plug in the new TTY bolts in a second pass. And what a delight it was to discover that my mid-range torque wrench doesn't work with left-hand threads! Whee!

But consider how fundamentally stunned it is to mill key slots into the back ends of the camshafts in order to be able to attach the alignment fixture because there weren't any slots milled in the front ends of the shafts to mate with sprocket keys. Duh.

The first ones DOHC's back in the old days you could just use a mill bastard file inserted into both camshafts in the rear of the block
The special tool was just a flat piece of metal
And yes one cam held and you tighten against the chains
A Snap On dial type torque wrench reads in both directions
Glad you got it handled