2006 Boss 302 Mustang?

• Sponsors (?)

that car would be my dream, nice work vyto2.

Staight line performance may be for some, but not for me. You can only go so fast (legally) on the streets. As far as I know there are no laws saying how fast you can take a corner.

Fly2low, is that the Stang's namesake (P51) on your avatar. Are you perchance an airplane racer. I read years ago that many people still use the old P51 for that sport.

my 02 gt stang white, blk leather seats, tinted windows, etc. is tha ****,
but up here in canada Im really payin for that ****......
an 05 gt up here after taxes and financing scams is gonna cost us over 40,000 (watch and see folks)

now that the 05 gt has 300 horse I think that ford would be just wasting there time and our money building a boss 302 with any less than 400-425 horse. since we'll likely be paying about 45,000-50,000 after its all said and done for this boss 302 (if it materializes) , poppa wants 4 hun. before he opens his wallet.

must be nice to make real dollars............

(alright , Im done bitching now)

realtripp: I can't afford that kind of Mustang, yet. Meanwhile, I am happy with this:

Attachments

• front 3-4 45 angle.JPG
    front 3-4 45 angle.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 203
Ron Jeremy said:
I don't think that the Boss will cost $40K-$50K. It will cost more like $30K-$32K.

Maybe for a BOSS sticker job. You throw any other motor in the car other than the stock 4.6 3V and you can bet it will be closer to 40K.

Da Plane, Da Plane Boss, Da Plane :D

rjstaaf said:
Maybe for a BOSS sticker job. You throw any other motor in the car other than the stock 4.6 3V and you can bet it will be closer to 40K.

Da Plane, Da Plane Boss, Da Plane :D
How so? The current Mach's MSRP is less than 6k more than a base GT. Even if we go with the high number of 26k and go another grand over the difference of the Mach and GT in cost it would still only be 33k. I really don't think a 40k special edition would sell. Especially if the Cobra is in the 40k range.

Omegalock said:
How so? The current Mach's MSRP is less than 6k more than a base GT. Even if we go with the high number of 26k and go another grand over the difference of the Mach and GT in cost it would still only be 33k. I really don't think a 40k special edition would sell. Especially if the Cobra is in the 40k range.
Hey...Ford is trying to sell a Cobra with a fancy paint job for 41K...who knows what they'll try to do with a special edition.

Yeah I suppose it's possible it just doesn't make much sense. Ford would be completely whiffing on an entire market by making a 40k Boss. There's a lot of us who would gladly spend low 30s for a special edition. Creep it up to 40k...and I think that number goes down by a bunch. 40k? I'll take a C6 Vette with 400 horses,IRS and likely a much lighter thank you very much.

Omegalock said:

Big difference, Ford isn't going to make a BOSS 281. If there is a BOSS it will have the 5.0 cammer motor and that is what people here are talking about. That is not a mass produced motor like the 4.6 DOHC is. The cheapest I have seen the 5.0 cammer is $12K whereas you can pick up a Mach 1 4.6 for about $3K. I am sure the motor doesn't cost Ford that much but, you can bet that since it isn't mass produced it will add greatly to the cost of any car it goes into.

fly2low, nice stang, one should be very happy with that.

If you had the other one I'll bet you could be the only one on here to boast a 520MPH mustang.

I want one too though, But I would have to learn to drive it first.

Ill bet the six .50 cals would be the only thing you had too. :flag:

rjstaaf said:
Big difference, Ford isn't going to make a BOSS 281. If there is a BOSS it will have the 5.0 cammer motor and that is what people here are talking about. That is not a mass produced motor like the 4.6 DOHC is. The cheapest I have seen the 5.0 cammer is $12K whereas you can pick up a Mach 1 4.6 for about $3K. I am sure the motor doesn't cost Ford that much but, you can bet that since it isn't mass produced it will add greatly to the cost of any car it goes into.
Yes but you also have to consider the production run of the cammer motor is a lot lower now than it would have to be if they start sticking into a full production car. Brand new crate motor=big time cash. 4 year old crate motor(if a Boss comes out in 07)+ higher production run=not gonna be a 12k engine.

The 5.0 cammer crate motor will never see the light of day in a production car. It's a crate motor that just doesn't make much sense to certify for production use. The 03 Cobra motor has been put into the "parts bin" for general vehicle use, and would make a much more logical choice, as it's been well proven to the muscle car fans, and already has an awesome aftermarket (ok, so no heads/intake/etc, but when for less than $2000 worth of aftermarket parts (w/o nitrous) you can have a 500hp motor, who are we to complain?).

Omegalock said:
Yes but you also have to consider the production run of the cammer motor is a lot lower now than it would have to be if they start sticking into a full production car. Brand new crate motor=big time cash. 4 year old crate motor(if a Boss comes out in 07)+ higher production run=not gonna be a 12k engine.

The BOSS 302 would be a limited production vehicle at best. I seriously doubt the 5.0 cammer will be put into any high volume production vehicles but rather limited editions so it is doubtful it will lower the price as much as the 4.6 DOHC which sees duty in several cars and trucks. It is just wishful thinking to think that Ford will put that motor as well as IRS and the other things people want for the BOSS and come in under 40K.

awalbert88 said:
The 5.0 cammer crate motor will never see the light of day in a production car. It's a crate motor that just doesn't make much sense to certify for production use. The 03 Cobra motor has been put into the "parts bin" for general vehicle use, and would make a much more logical choice, as it's been well proven to the muscle car fans, and already has an awesome aftermarket (ok, so no heads/intake/etc, but when for less than $2000 worth of aftermarket parts (w/o nitrous) you can have a 500hp motor, who are we to complain?).

Gonna disagree with you there. Why even build the motor if it is not going to wind up in a production vehicle at some point even if a limited edition. I seriously doubt Ford built it just to add content to the Ford racing catalog.

rjstaaf said:
The BOSS 302 would be a limited production vehicle at best. I seriously doubt the 5.0 cammer will be put into any high volume production vehicles but rather limited editions so it is doubtful it will lower the price as much as the 4.6 DOHC which sees duty in several cars and trucks. It is just wishful thinking to think that Ford will put that motor as well as IRS and the other things people want for the BOSS and come in under 40K.
That would have to be a seriously limited production run for it not to make a significant difference in the price. This is personally my own opinion but if Ford is going to build another special edition it's likely to come in between the GT and the Cobra. Push too high with the special edition and it won't sell. The GT guy who is willing to make the jump up a few more grand to get a Boss wouldn't be able to afford it and the guy who could afford a 40k price tag would be seriously swayed by a similiarly priced Vette with similar power and a lot more "sex appeal" or better yet a Cobra for only a few grand more.
Now I think it behooves Ford to start pushing the 5.0 as eventually the 4.6 will likely be replaced sooner or later. What better way to slowly work the new 5.0 into the Mustang and offset it's R&D and production costs than to first offer it as a bad ass crate engine, then slide it into a decent sized production volume limited edition car, then eventually make it the replacement for the 4.6 by say...(2009 or 2010 if fuel and emission standards don't kill it by then). There are many companies that are going to have all new engines ready to bitch slap the 3v 4.6 in a few years it'd be bad form for Ford to get stuck behind the game by not offsetting the cost of that engine in a special edition now rather than jack up the price to where it's pretty much untouchable and nobody can afford it or those that can likely wouldn't buy it.

Who says it has to be a "Boss 302"? Maybe it'll just be a "Boss". When they did the Shinoda Boss cars, they dropped the displacement moniker. Hell, it could even be offered as more of an appearance package than a full on SE car. But by the looks of the car's styling, and the recent productions of both the Mach and the Bullitt, I think we will see a Boss in the near future. It wouldn't take much to do it with this platform. Also, Ford just used the "Boss 351" name for it's V10 project car, so obviously no one has forgotten the name over there. Give them some time, and I think it'll happen. If nothing else, you can be sure companies like Age Classic Design will make Boss kits for these stangs.

rjstaaf said:
Gonna disagree with you there. Why even build the motor if it is not going to wind up in a production vehicle at some point even if a limited edition. I seriously doubt Ford built it just to add content to the Ford racing catalog.

When they first designed it, it was rumoured to be one of the options for the 02 Cobra, but they decided against it for some reason. It was realized that Ford needed a new crate motor that represented the modern technology present in Ford engines, and so they decided to go down that path. GM has many, many crate motors that have never, nor will ever, be in a production vehicle. Heck, just look at the 502 and 572 cuin motors.

I don't think Coletti would have put the blown 4.6 on the shelf so quickly with no expectation of it being used in another high performance vehicle. I'd love to see the Marauder have it if that actually continues production (haven't heard a decision on that car either way). If SVT hadn't put the DOHC 4.6 on the parts shelf when the 03 Cobra came out, we wouldn't have had the Mach 1 (or with possibly just a Bullit engine).

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a version of the 5.0 Cammer in a production Mustang, but I doubt it will happen. There's too much (speculative, I'll admit) evidence to suggest the blown 4.6 instead.

EDIT:

Also, I don't think the 5.0 is going to replace the 4.6, ever. With VVT, the 3v 4.6 is plenty powerful enough for a factory car while still meeting emissions. If it happens, it would have to be a SOHC 3V design w/ VVT, because the DOHC model we have now would not likely be a big enough improvement in power (after figuring all the usual emissions restrictions such as cats, etc) to justify it. And even if it was significantly faster, it wouldn't be a replacement. The 5.4 3V engine for the F150, while one of the most badass V8s Ford has offered in a truck, is not the standard engine - the 4.6 is. Fuel economy and emissions will keep bigger engines from being standard equipment I suspect. GM is just narrowly getting by with the 6.0L LS2 engine in the Corvette, and even then it's only because of the six-speed transmission - with the 4-speed auto, it has a gas guzzler tax (or maybe it's the GTO that does.. can't remember).

The 4.6 is used in way too many vehicles to be replaced with something that's going to have a hard time passing fuel economy and emissions regulations in a couple of years. 2007 is going to see a lot of big changes for the automotive world, although the biggest is the new collision standards (hence why so many cars are being redesigned between now and '06).