2006 mustang GT 5.3l with cobra 4v Heads

• Sponsors (?)

Yes you can, but my god that’s expensive!! You’ll be in that engine set up 7-9k depending on what you’ll use for the heads/cams/valves, timing components, and timing cover with accessories!! Not including if you wanted to turbo or supercharge it!! For that money just buy a complete gt500 engine From supercharger to oil pan or a termi engine turn key swap kit with complete engine, trans, wiring, ecm, instrument cluster, drive shaft, k member and trans member. I used to see them for around 9-12k depending on what superchargers and upgrades they had.

If you wanted to use the 5.3 striker it says on their site it’ll fit 2,3,4 valve heads, you might just need to modify the motor mounts on certain years.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the response! See that’s the thing. I wanted to do the cobra 4.6 swap but I wasn’t sure if it would fit in a S197! If so I saw a whole engine, trans, steering wheel and ecu for 7k on eBay. I’m a novice mechanic but I am extremely good at following directions. I will follow the ford repair manual for as much of the swap as I can. My next option was to buy a 4.6 motor from the junkyard and the 5.3l stroker, install it myself and top it off with a department of boost supercharger. This way if I mess up.. well it’s on a motor outside of the vehicle. Waste of money kind of but it’s security and I love doing things myself.

What car do you have? Year and model, remember s197’s can come with a 5.4 sohc so I’m sure a 4.6 sohc would fit with plenty of room to spare. But ultimately you gotta ask yourself what is your hp goal? A stock 4.6 3v can handle up to 450rwhp. 4.6 3v also has the cheapest best sounding camshafts you can buy, and the 05-06 mustang gt’s have the lightest engines because the hey are all aluminum. And the 4.6 3v has the coolest Eddlebrock supercharger I’ve ever seen! But I need to know what you have and what your goal is

I have a 2006 Mustang GT with about 130k miles on it. That’s another reason for my swap. My horsepower goal is 550 to the wheels. I love the 3v but I just can’t get past the exhaust tone and the way the engine behaves. Also I made a mistake buying this car with the auto because I used to live in New Jersey and felt the manual was too much for that kind of traffic. Now I’m in South Carolina and regret buying the Auto. since my 3v is at 130k miles I can’t install frpp cams bc of the rocker arms/lash adjusters.

I might be wrong but I believe the 06 is an aluminum engine block. If it were me I would build that engine and forget the 5.3 stroker!! That engine is way overkill for what you’re trying to do. Forged pistons and rods, new bearings, send the heads off to get redone with better springs and cams, and use the rest of the money to supercharge it, exhaust, and better torque converter with some rear f ars and you’ll have a beast for cheaper than building that 5.3.

My car dyno’d 500rwhp, it’s more than I use, I’m still not used to going full throttle in it. I do miss my 96 mustang gt because I could go full throttle, whip it around turns with the tires smoking, and just have fun with out worrying so much. In my gt500 I have to be careful and on edge because the power will always surprise you. At least it surprises me still after 2 years. Just know 550 is no joke in a car that wasn’t supposed to have that’s much.

• Happy
Reactions: 1 user
Yup 06 is all aluminum..I’m not going to lie.. your idea does sound way better but should I go shortblock? Or just buy the rotating assembly and have a machine shop take care of the work? who knows I might be really comfortable at 450 rear wheel! I just want the added coverage of a forged rotating assembly. The 3v GT is such a Turd with bolt ons man. I can floor it from a dead stop.. traction control off and only get a little tire squeal, stock tires and that’s it. I just want that big block feel.. when I rode in my dads Chevelle 454 I couldn’t believe the low end torque.

Supercharger would be your best friend. If 450 is your goal you don’t have to forge it. I just don’t know how well the engine would hold up at 130k miles. I would research that and see how many people have supercharged their high mileage engine.

Yup 06 is all aluminum..I’m not going to lie.. your idea does sound way better but should I go shortblock? Or just buy the rotating assembly and have a machine shop take care of the work? who knows I might be really comfortable at 450 rear wheel! I just want the added coverage of a forged rotating assembly. The 3v GT is such a Turd with bolt ons man. I can floor it from a dead stop.. traction control off and only get a little tire squeal, stock tires and that’s it. I just want that big block feel.. when I rode in my dads Chevelle 454 I couldn’t believe the low end torque.

I don't know what bolt on you have but it shouldn't be a turd. Anyway, my advice is to rebuild your engine with forged rods/ pistons, billet oil pump, new front timing kit, and new cam followers/lash adjusters. Then you'll have an engine that'll handle up to 700hp.

I don't know what bolt on you have but it shouldn't be a turd. Anyway, my advice is to rebuild your engine with forged rods/ pistons, billet oil pump, new front timing kit, and new cam followers/lash adjusters. Then you'll have an engine that'll handle up to 700hp.

I have a jlt Cold air intake, steeda charge motion plates and off road H. Should I go shortblock? I found one for 3,900 http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=192024178221 Or buy the rotating assembly? I was in a heated discussion yesterday with a mechanic who claimed the 3v motor is completely unworthy of racing and I should swap a 351W in my car haha

Just do what I advised in my last post. That ebay short block is cast iron so it'll add about 60lb over the nose. Your existing 3V aluminum block is strong enough to handle 1000hp, and the stock crank can handle 700hp, so just build it up.
With your existing bolt ons you should have 300-305rwhp, which is enough to get you a 12.XX sec 1/4 mile timeslip. If yours feels slow, maybe there's something wrong with the tune.
The 3V can be built into a very good race motor but its biggest disadvantages are the relative lack of displacement plus the high cost of CNC ported heads, cams, and performance intake manifold with oversize throttle body. The same parts for the 351W are much cheaper, and it also has 25% more displacement, but it's not really suitable for swapping into an S197.

Just do what I advised in my last post. That ebay short block is cast iron so it'll add about 60lb over the nose. Your existing 3V aluminum block is strong enough to handle 1000hp, and the stock crank can handle 700hp, so just build it up.
With your existing bolt ons you should have 300-305rwhp, which is enough to get you a 12.XX sec 1/4 mile timeslip. If yours feels slow, maybe there's something wrong with the tune.
The 3V can be built into a very good race motor but its biggest disadvantages are the relative lack of displacement plus the high cost of CNC ported heads, cams, and performance intake manifold with oversize throttle body. The same parts for the 351W are much cheaper, and it also has 25% more displacement, but it's not really suitable for swapping into an S197.

I think the motor is tired and ready for a rebuild. Sounds good man! you sound like you know what you are talking about haha so im going to find me some forged rods and pistons. Anyone know of some reputable shops in south carolina that could knock this out? I want about 500 to the wheels. What kind of supercharger should I go with? and thanks for all the quality informations guys :)

What exactly are you power goals?