2006 Mustang Gt Exhuast Help

Travis1254

Apr 9, 2015
Hey guys I know there's probably a ton of these but I really need some help. I've been researching for a while but can't really find anything. I really wanted the off road pipes with an axle back but with inspections in New Jersey I can't really do that, unless there's a way to get around it because they check under the cars too. So I want a really loud exhaust, but is there a way I can get that if I use a catted pipe? Is there a way I can still have it as loud as the offroad pipe? What can I do? Can you guys give me some exhaust options that are really loud, just the midpipe and axle back or catback doesn't matter? I'm not really looking into any headers yet, I need to wait till I get more money first. Any help would be really appreciated since I've been stuck on this forever. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You do know there are muffler delete axle backs and stuff like Pype Bombs right?

Although, IMO muffler deletes sound terrible.
Yeah I know. I'm kinda new with exhaust stuff. I was looking at pype bombs and all that. I just can't find anything thats loud enough unless it's a cat less midpipe which I can't do, so it sucks. What would you recommend me doing if you have anything?

High Flow Cats make more noise then stock cats. Perhaps get something like the Pipe Bomb and a set of Hogh Flow Cats. No Cats and High Flow Cats also give more pulse in the exhaust sound, I really like that more than the extra noise.

High Flow Cats make more noise then stock cats. Perhaps get something like the Pipe Bomb and a set of Hogh Flow Cats. No Cats and High Flow Cats also give more pulse in the exhaust sound, I really like that more than the extra noise.
yeah that's what I was thinking about doing. Are there any x or h pipes that have more free flowing cats than others? And should I go with a cat back pype bomb or axle back? Or do you think the slp axle backs would be better? Thanks for your help

Axle back would be fine and save a few $$$. I run an off road Pypes H pipe and Boom Tubes. Not sure which is best high flow h/x pipes, I'd bet they are near equal. I get plenty of compliments. I would prefer something just a touch quieter sometimes though. Not much, just a little. I think the Hi-Flow cats would be the perfect fix for me. Louder than stock cats and quieter than no cats.

Axle back would be fine and save a few $$$. I run an off road Pypes H pipe and Boom Tubes. Not sure which is best high flow h/x pipes, I'd bet they are near equal. I get plenty of compliments. I would prefer something just a touch quieter sometimes though. Not much, just a little. I think the Hi-Flow cats would be the perfect fix for me. Louder than stock cats and quieter than no cats.
Yeah dude my main setup I wanted was with an off road x or H but how do you get through inspection? If I could find a way, I'd definitely know what I was getting

I have gotten pretty good at switching the exhaust around. Of course, it seems that once, while in a rush, I cross threaded the holes for the drivers side muffler mounts. A couple heli coils fixed that up. I put cats in a couple hundred miles before inspection.

I have gotten pretty good at switching the exhaust around. Of course, it seems that once, while in a rush, I cross threaded the holes for the drivers side muffler mounts. A couple heli coils fixed that up. I put cats in a couple hundred miles before inspection.
Wat so can you just switch the midpipe back to stock for inspection? And is it easy to do or is it annoying to do? If it's not that bad I might just do that. Which do you think is better though if I go with an off road pipe, slp loudmouth axle back or the pype bombs?

I have never heard the loudmouth or pype bomb in person. Hopefully someone else has input for that. I like my Boom tube though and it is like those. Changing them is easy once you've done it. Long 1/2" extensions help a lot. Needs to be on 4 jackstands if possible. I think you need at least 200 miles after putting cats on for it to believe it is fixed. Even if you clear the code it needs to see that the code stays away before getting it inspected. Cats last a LONG time this way...lol.

Yeah, swapping midpipes is easy once you do it a couple times.

But, if you do you might want to replace the locking nuts on the exhaust manifolds that Ford uses with something else.

They are distorted thread locknuts, and I don't know what the deal is with them but I had TWO of them bind up and snap the ends off the studs. Fortunately I still had enough thread left that I was OK, and after that I just double nutted them with regular nuts and it was fine. Course now I have longtubes so that's not even an issue anymore :)

BTW- you can find high flow catted X pipes all over the place but almost nobody has high flow catted H pipes (which I personally think sound better). I did make my own previously by taking the catted "legs" from a Magnaflow X pipe, cutting off the rear section of my stock H pipe, and mating them together with band clamps. That wouldn't be an option for you unless you got a spare H pipe.

[QUOTE="But, if you do you might want to replace the locking nuts on the exhaust manifolds that Ford uses with something else.
I just double nutted them with regular nuts and it was fine. [/QUOTE]

I forgot about that. I double nutted mine too.

I have never heard the loudmouth or pype bomb in person. Hopefully someone else has input for that. I like my Boom tube though and it is like those. Changing them is easy once you've done it. Long 1/2" extensions help a lot. Needs to be on 4 jackstands if possible. I think you need at least 200 miles after putting cats on for it to believe it is fixed. Even if you clear the code it needs to see that the code stays away before getting it inspected. Cats last a LONG time this way...lol.
Thanks for the help. I never knew about the 200 mile thing so you saved me there haha. So how long before inspection do you switch back? Yeah I heard boom tubes were nice too, how loud are yours? Like can you hear them from a mile away or quieter? I heard a lot of mixed review with the slps that's why I'm not sure about them. They say it sounds like a tractor but I don't know

T
Yeah, swapping midpipes is easy once you do it a couple times.

But, if you do you might want to replace the locking nuts on the exhaust manifolds that Ford uses with something else.

They are distorted thread locknuts, and I don't know what the deal is with them but I had TWO of them bind up and snap the ends off the studs. Fortunately I still had enough thread left that I was OK, and after that I just double nutted them with regular nuts and it was fine. Course now I have longtubes so that's not even an issue anymore :)

BTW- you can find high flow catted X pipes all over the place but almost nobody has high flow catted H pipes (which I personally think sound better). I did make my own previously by taking the catted "legs" from a Magnaflow X pipe, cutting off the rear section of my stock H pipe, and mating them together with band clamps. That wouldn't be an option for you unless you got a spare H pipe.
Thanks for telling me that. That's good to know. I know those midpipes are everywhere I just didn't know if some were more free flowing then others or not

I don't know exactly how long it has to be, but I am pretty sure about 200 miles of driving covers it. I may be able to get more info on that later. When I am running the off road H with the Bom Tubes, and I drive away REAL LIGHT on the gas and very low RPMs, you still hear me. Just not loud. However, I made a u-turn on a wide divided highway (On my way to work and left laptop at home). I stopped just as I got on to the other side, then ran it hard 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Soon after a friend called me that lives a good bit more than a mile away and said he heard a car go through 3 gears that sounded just like mine. So yes, when you are standing on it, it is LOUD.

When I run the Boom Tubes with cats, it has a deep smooth truck like noise. The factory cats take the pulse out (regardless of the muffler brand). Without the cats, the truck noise goes away, the exhaust sounds healthy. I expect this would be true with any of the mufflers you mentioned. My Boom Tubes do have little rust spots. I can polish them and it doesn't show for a while, but it comes back and will only get worse with time. I guess they are 3 to 5 years old, I don't remember when I got them. But they should hold up looking decent after polish for a few more years. Then I may just black them out.

I don't know exactly how long it has to be, but I am pretty sure about 200 miles of driving covers it. I may be able to get more info on that later. When I am running the off road H with the Bom Tubes, and I drive away REAL LIGHT on the gas and very low RPMs, you still hear me. Just not loud. However, I made a u-turn on a wide divided highway (On my way to work and left laptop at home). I stopped just as I got on to the other side, then ran it hard 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Soon after a friend called me that lives a good bit more than a mile away and said he heard a car go through 3 gears that sounded just like mine. So yes, when you are standing on it, it is LOUD.

When I run the Boom Tubes with cats, it has a deep smooth truck like noise. The factory cats take the pulse out (regardless of the muffler brand). Without the cats, the truck noise goes away, the exhaust sounds healthy. I expect this would be true with any of the mufflers you mentioned. My Boom Tubes do have little rust spots. I can polish them and it doesn't show for a while, but it comes back and will only get worse with time. I guess they are 3 to 5 years old, I don't remember when I got them. But they should hold up looking decent after polish for a few more years. Then I may just black them out.
That'sawesome. That's what I'm looking for. Something that loud but can also be quiet when I want it to be. So if I don't get a tune for it right away, and switch back to the stock for inspection will the lights go away that the exhaust turns on? Or do I need a tune for that to go away everytime?

I am unsure if they go out on their own, I "think" they do after a little over 100 miles of working. Could be wrong. I clear them myself. I have an Andriod phone, and use a Mini ELM327 Bluetooth OBDii adapter with an app called Torque Pro. With that you can read and clear codes, plus see live data on your phone. The MiniELM327 is around $15 shipped off eBay and NewEgg and the Torque app seems like it is under $10. iPhones can do it too, but they need a different adapter and App. Pick the App first, then use the adapter the App suggests. Search whatever they call the store for OBDii. Or get a cheap code reader for $50 at the local parts house. It can still clear codes.

I am unsure if they go out on their own, I "think" they do after a little over 100 miles of working. Could be wrong. I clear them myself. I have an Andriod phone, and use a Mini ELM327 Bluetooth OBDii adapter with an app called Torque Pro. With that you can read and clear codes, plus see live data on your phone. The MiniELM327 is around $15 shipped off eBay and NewEgg and the Torque app seems like it is under $10. iPhones can do it too, but they need a different adapter and App. Pick the App first, then use the adapter the App suggests. Search whatever they call the store for OBDii. Or get a cheap code reader for $50 at the local parts house. It can still clear codes.
Ahhh that's pretty awesome. I never knew that. So how does it work when I get? Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make sure I do everything right