2006 Mustang GT Turbo Build - Megasquirt?

mclang

Oct 2, 2020
Detroit-Metro
Hi all. This is my first post to the forum. I did try searching for old posts to answer my question.. But could not find anything after a few minutes.

I purchased a turbo kit for my 2006 Mustang GT. I would like to go the Megasquirt route for tuning if possible. I have a friend who does MS tuning on the side (is a calibration engineer in the auto industry, not a weekend tuner) and he offered to help tune the car once built if I am able to get a MS set up.

My question is, does MS offer a system that would work for a 2006 Mustang GT? I've tried doing my own research on Megasquirt's site and via google, but it does not look like there is any complete PnP kit offered for the 4.6l 3v. Would I need to go with one of their DIY MS3 PnP kits? If installed correctly will this do the trick for my vehicle? Or do I need to go a different route with another product? I have a SCT X4 hand-held tuner from previous bolt-on mods, but believe this is only capable of flashing piggy-back tunes where the turbo will require a custom tune. Would the SCT X4 work with another software such as HP Tuners if Megasquirt is not an option?

Thank you for any and all comments / advice. Hope to make a build thread once I begin installing the kit.

-McLang

• Sponsors (?)

I live in Michigan, we do not have vehicle inspections here so emissions is not an issue :nice:. PATS I am not concerned with, the vehicle will be stored in a secure garage unless at a track. By other systems, I assume you are referring to the cluster, ac, radio, window switches, etc? I plan on the car being mainly a track vehicle, so I do not believe there would be anything too severe to get by without. Other than PATS, what would be the next biggest system you think I should be concerned of if I decided to not stick with the stock ECU? Appreciate your help! Also, I am a mechanical engineer by trade and am hoping to be able to work around a majority of the minor inconveniences from the other systems I would lose by ditching the stock ECU

Any of the stock electronics, typically they all communicate over canbus and when the ecu is removed they stop functioning.

I do not know of a PNP kit, you could build a ms3x but I would suggest using an ms3pro evo or ultimate. To use the stock harness you can get a pigtail or buy the empty plugs and pin them.
If your friend is not used to the software he may want to do some reading in the MS manuals for functionality before you all begin wiring.

I have access to my model year DBC files to decode the CAN msgs/sgnls and figure out a solution for that if it comes to it. Going to do some more research before pulling the trigger but I appreciate the points you raised, thank you very much.

Ms has the ability to send can messages and decode them, it uses a 29 bit protocol but if you look in the ms manuals it explains how to do this. I believe you will be limited on what you can do with these as it's not what the ECU was designed for. However if you are coding savvy you could likely make it work with a microcontroller.

Now you could also do a parallel installation this way the stock ecu stays in use, the ms can use all the factory 0-5v sensors and transducers but the ms will need it's own thermistor installed as these cannot be shared due to being a voltage divider.
I hope this sheds some light on what is possible.