2006 Problems. Fuel/Sputter/Frustration.. grrr.

Hey guys anyone else come across this problem?

2006 V6 Auto. I have not put any mod’s on this car, full stock still.

Fuel gauge drops from ¼ tank to E. (Both while driving & while coming from both slow and fast starts) has not done it on ignition start, but has happen within I would say 2 mins from firing the engine.
Fuel warning light comes on with like 5 miles to empty.
Rough idle like the engine wants to cut off.
Then the fuel gauge rebounds to ¼ tank and no problems.

This only happens when I reach the ¼ tank mark. I cannot duplicate it. I have tried rough take offs, and fast corners, thinking ok maybe some way in h#ll it was the fuel shifting in the tank, but @ ¼ it should not do that.. Nothing. Ford has no clue and it has been in about 5 times for this problem.

Sometimes this happens 1 once a day, 3 times a day, or 1 once a week. ??

This started around the end of Jan, and just keeps happening. Ford did replace the 1st fuel pump but it has not fixed the problem with the fuel gauge drop. ??

Other then that the only other symptoms I have had where while driving the engine felt like it sputtered and would do a 3 times go/shutdown/go/shutdown/go while shifting for passing at highway speeds that had to of been the code for the fuel pump which was replaced.

I’m frustrated any ideas? Besides lemon law?

Thanks.

Matt :mad:

• Sponsors (?)

Just for an update to my question.
Well at the least I wasn't nuts. Always the most simple things.

I had a friend who works for Ford do some research.
If anyone has any symptoms like mine, with the fuel gauge dropping down to E from like ¼ tank.. (Not just ford cars)

You need to add Chevron TECHRON fuel cleaner per Ford recommendations. Hurray cheap gas.

It happens from sulfur build up in the gas tank.

Cheers!

Thanks for posting that!

Maybe it will help with my problem of when slowing down and then putting on the gas the car trying to cut out before it decides to haul ass.

click the TSB link in my signature. if your symptoms are after a long cruise, then ther is a TSB for that. it calls for a new fuel pump if i remember correctly.

click the TSB link in my signature. if your symptoms are after a long cruise, then ther is a TSB for that. it calls for a new fuel pump if i remember correctly.
That is definitely it!

If I've been cruising down the hwy and then I take an exit and start slowing down due to a red light at the bottom but then just when I am almost stopped the light turns green and I hit the gas, the car will start to go, then try to die, and then haul ass. It will almost give you whiplash with all of that going on.

I've had it to the dealership 3 times for it but they always say they can't reproduce the problem. :mad:

That is definitely it!

If I've been cruising down the hwy and then I take an exit and start slowing down due to a red light at the bottom but then just when I am almost stopped the light turns green and I hit the gas, the car will start to go, then try to die, and then haul ass. It will almost give you whiplash with all of that going on.

I've had it to the dealership 3 times for it but they always say they can't reproduce the problem. :mad:

print the TSB and take it in with you. i hope they have not been on 3 long cruises to try to duplicate the problem. that would be burning your gas and adding mileage to your car that is unecessary.

print the TSB and take it in with you. i hope they have not been on 3 long cruises to try to duplicate the problem. that would be burning your gas and adding mileage to your car that is unecessary.

Already printed the TSB and have it ready for when I get back home. ;)

Thank you so much!!!

I honestly don't think they even took it out at all. I *always* check my gas level when I drop my car of anywhere. I guess I watched a little too much Ferris Bueller's Day Off when I was younger. :) LOL

Bigcat is 100% right.

After about an hour of driving the symptom will start happening.

It took my Ford shop 3 times to find the code for the 1st fuel pump error with that problem.

I would print the TSB as he said and just tell them to fix it. Some shops are just like that. I wish I would of kept the code but I didn't. If they give you flake try another Ford shop, or contact Ford. They know about this problem. It's not uncommon.

My car ended up having 2 different issues that just happen to take place around the same time so thats why I was so confused with what has going on.

If you don't have a fuel warning chime going off here and there for no gas, and your fuel level dropping to Empty then bouncing back to the correct fuel level you do not need the Chevron TECHRON fuel cleaner.

Good luck.

If you don't have a fuel warning chime going off here and there for no gas, and your fuel level dropping to Empty then bouncing back to the correct fuel level you do not need the Chevron TECHRON fuel cleaner.

Good luck.

No, none of that is happening. Just the hesitation after driving at the same speed for a while.

I definitely plan to have the TSB with me when I visit the dealership. Especially since I've already been there about this with no resolution.

Hi guys,

My 06 did the same thing after a cruise (automatic).

My dealer replaced the fuel pump covered under the TSB.

Believe it or not, it STILL does the same thing once in a while!

I also have had a severe pinging problem between 2500-3000RPM in 4th or 5th gear since day 1.

At 37,500 miles a new tech figured out the MAF was off calibration by 1.25v.

Range is supposed to be 1.2v-2.xx, mine was 3.4v

Getting that fixed today, along with my new T-LOC axle.

Anybody else had detonation problems?

SOHC