2006 s-197 GT Electric fan on my car!!!

Well i've been saying i was going to do it for a while and i finally did.

'06 Gt fan $20
8ft wire loom $4.99
Wire and connectors $10
Staying 180* in houston daytime heat and traffic PRICELESS!!!

The fan went in with a little customization. I have pics and could do a short write up if people are interested, just tell me where to put it in talk or tech if y'all want it.

And thanks to anthony05gt for help wiring it up and sending me a connector for FREE :hail2: !!!

• Sponsors (?)

srothfuss said:
That fan shroud looks like, almost, the perfect fit....

The fan is HUGE!
The shroud is almost a perfect fit. It has mounting "tabs" on the sides that need to be removed so the shroud will sit flush with the fins of the radiator and not hit the tanks.

I don't know how thick the stock radiator is but if its thinner than my aftermarket one the fan might fit without trimming the shroud or the back plastic from behind the motor. I had to remove about 1/4 -1/2 inch from the shroud and still could have gone more but i didn't wanna go to far and mess it up. The closest place from the fan to the radiator is still 1/4 inch or more from the fins. I just thought it would be better to trim the plastic from the back of the motor than to trim to much from the shroud.

The fan is a perfect fit in width (side to side) but it is about 1 inch to tall, no worry though the extra inch sits nicely at the bottom and is covered by the radiator support.

It's fantastic looking... I wonder what CFM you can see out of that freight train now?

Here is mine
finish%20install.JPG

srothfuss is that a stock radiator? If so it looks like you got maybe an inch you could move it back, if so the s-197 fan would probably clear no prob.

What fan are you running?

I asked the s-197 guys if they know what the cfm rating is for these fans and what the amp draw is, so maybe someone will let us know.

My rad is the brass 3 core unit available everywhere for $100 smackers... That is a Mark Viii fan in there.

One time the fan kicked on full blast and I thought I was driving a jet engine!

srothfuss said:
My rad is the brass 3 core unit available everywhere for $100 smackers... That is a Mark Viii fan in there.

One time the fan kicked on full blast and I thought I was driving a jet engine!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats a 3 core? looks kinda skinny, and mines only a 2 core? You count the number of cores by looking inside and counting the number of holes going front to back correct.

If you compare this picture with the one I posted above, you can clearly see the difference in the stock radiator (below) and my brass 3 core (above) I'd say there is about 1" more thickness between the two

stock%20radiator1.JPG

Yeah I can definatly see the difference in the two. With that stock one i'm sure the fan would be an easier install.

Some things i have learned since the swap:
1. 3g alt is a must 140amp at least

2. It needs to be wired with a heavy awg wire like 6-10 gauge , I'm rewiring mine today with 6-awg

3. According to anthony05gt it should have at least a 40 amp fuse

4. This sucker really keeps the car cool!!!

I'm using an autozone special 140amp 3g with a 2g pulley so it will charge at idle.

This fan really does pull some amps, with headlights and the fan running, hazards, radio, and brake lights lit (the most load i can put on it) it will drop the voltage to 12.3v but thats idleing at 700, i like the way it idles at 900 and at 900 it puts out 13.4v so thats plenty.

I just rewired the fan and set the idle (900), tps (.99/4.70), and initial timing (12* since i'm not going to be spraying anytime soon) and it really seems to be running alot better.