2006 Saleen 281SC

• Sponsors (?)

According to Saleen.com the HP is 325 HP for a 25hp increase.

They list the following;

Accessory Pulleys Saleen Underdrive Pulleys
Exhaust System Saleen Stainless, 2.5 in Variable Exhaust
Fuel Premium Unleaded 91 Octane

The Premium fuel indicates (to me) that they are re-programming the ECU.

I think that's where the 25hp delta is...

Wait a second...

I re-read your post and it was about the 281 "SC" (Supercharged) model...

Here's all the poopsky on that model:

Type
4.6L, 3V, SOHC V-8
Bore and Stroke
3.55 x 3.54 in.
Displacement 4.6 liters, 281 cu in.
Exhaust System Saleen Stainless, 2.5 in. Variable Exhaust
Horsepower 400 bhp @ 5800 RPM
Torque 420 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM
Saleen Intercooled Supercharger Saleen Series VI Integrated TwinScrew Supercharger With Two-Stage Water-To-Air Intercooler System; Cast 356-T6 aluminum alloy constructions

Big-Foot said:
Wait a second...

I re-read your post and it was about the 281 "SC" (Supercharged) model...

Here's all the poopsky on that model:

Type
4.6L, 3V, SOHC V-8
Bore and Stroke
3.55 x 3.54 in.
Displacement 4.6 liters, 281 cu in.
Exhaust System Saleen Stainless, 2.5 in. Variable Exhaust
Horsepower 400 bhp @ 5800 RPM
Torque 420 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM
Saleen Intercooled Supercharger Saleen Series VI Integrated TwinScrew Supercharger With Two-Stage Water-To-Air Intercooler System; Cast 356-T6 aluminum alloy constructions
isnt this the power rating for 2005? i could be wrong... the question was specific to 2006.

Tmack said:
What did Saleen do to get a 35hp increase in the 281SC?

I called Saleen the other day to check on status of a Supercharger for my 05. I asked them about the Edmonds article that stated the 435hp rating for 06. According to the tech rep at Saleen I spoke with - hp stays at 400hp with no changes to the configuration from 05. Saleen was not sure where Edmonds received the data or the bases of the story. That's the story I got last Friday.

Moondog said:
I called Saleen the other day to check on status of a Supercharger for my 05. I asked them about the Edmonds article that stated the 435hp rating for 06. According to the tech rep at Saleen I spoke with - hp stays at 400hp with no changes to the configuration from 05. Saleen was not sure where Edmonds received the data or the bases of the story. That's the story I got last Friday.
They got it strait from the horses mouth. It is on Saleen's website under "press releases". I attached a .pdf that I got strait from Saleen's website.
View attachment 39567

From what I was told, they actually acheived that HP for the 05' models when they were first engine dynoing the S/C motor. I assume they originally advertised the 400hp, so that the next year they can claim more hp....good sales marketing. Also if you look at the info about the S/C they state OVER 400hp and 420trq. You never know with Saleen.....

crewwolfy said:
At 400hp, isn't the SC running on only 4psi? An increase in boost would likely (i assume) create bigger numbers than just +35. I'd assume further tuning and whatnot.
Yes, it is running at 4 psi of boost and that is something that Saleen is proud of. They brag that they can get 400 hp with only 4 psi of boost. So I agree, I think it must be tuning. I e-mailed Saleen a month ago, but have yet to receive a response.

they get 400 flywheel with 4 psi

the turbo kits out there get then that at the WHEELS with 4 psi :)
and the vortech would make taht as well at that boost level its not that the saleen blower is so good its that 05's love boost

^ Exactly, a KB could do the same thing if it was geared to make boost that low. I think the problem is that the saleen S/C is geared toward peak effeciency @ LOW boost. Meaning there is NO WAY IN HECK it will gain another 100RWHP from 8PSI and so on. Its max impeller speed will probably be acheaved at a pretty low boost too. I would go KB if I was going aftermarket.
HP and RPM are the main killers of engines. If you have a choked up motor (like a 2V GT motor) and shove 8PSI down it to get 400HP, its going to last just as long as an 05 engine that makes 400HP @ 4PSI.
The amount of air in the cylinder determines HP, PSI is just resistence...mainly in the heads. There are other things that make FREE HP like exhaust, U/D pulleys ect. these should have no ill effect on the motor.

I agree a KB wold be a good choice for a big boost application with a built bottom end. But why would you use 8psi when 4psi will get you the same number? KB and Whipple are closer to 450RWHP at 8PSI but that is walking the line on a stock longblock.
Also the whole underdrive pullies + exhaust change doesn't work on these cars as well as it has in past models. Ford finally decided to put some of that "Free HP" you mentioned to work for them. A CAI and tune is the best "bang for the buck" upgrade to do on a 3V.

Well I finaly received a responce from Saleen. Here is what he said on how they got the extra 35 horses:

The only changes were to the exhaust system and a slight change to the tune of the car. The difference when driving is not noticeable.

Regards,

Scott Kennedy

Technical Service Advisor