2006! Shelby GT500 Cobra

lethaljay

Sep 21, 2004
Wichita, Kansas
Check it out. Go to ESPN.com and look at the very top of the page. They have an advertisement for some new stupid ESPNcars channel and they advertise "2006 Shelby Mustang Cobra GT500 Get the Full story here!" My stupid computer is messed up so I can't click it haha. I guess my computer knows i'll have a heart attack when i see this beast!

• Sponsors (?)

I find it sadly amazing that the most they will produce is 450 HP from this Stang. Plus, they yanked the IRS Module for a beefier version of the 3-link solid axle. Ehhhh... Other than owning it for the limited production run value, I myself, would pass on this 'Bra. Not sure if I could substantiate mid-$60,000 - $70,000 in my area of CA with Mark-up.

Here are some snippits from the article.

Supercharged 5.4-liter, dual overhead cam, iron-block, 32-valve V8 with Ford GT aluminum cylinder heads, piston rings and bearings. Pistons are forged aluminum and the crankshaft is forged steel. Horsepower for the 2006 Ford Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500 is rated at 450 and torque peaks at 450 lb.-ft. And since heat robs engine power, the GT500 is equipped with an upgraded cooling system and an aluminum hood with heat vents.

A six-speed manual transmission, featuring a 3.31 final drive ratio, is responsible for putting the power to the pavement.

An independent MacPherson strut suspension is used up front, aided by the same 34-mm stabilizer bar used on the Mustang GT. The rear features a three-link solid axle setup with coil springs (chosen over an independent rear suspension because of its performance in tire-smoking drag runs and overall durability), but the 24-mm stabilizer is two millimeters larger than that found on the Mustang GT. A Panhard rod, with SVT-tuned bushings, has been bolted to the rear axle to keep everything in place when 450 lb.-ft. of torque is unleashed; a control arm attached to the front of the differential also assures that all of that twist doesn’t wreak havoc. Finally, front and rear ride heights have been lowered to improve handling.

Unique to the GT500 is black leather located on the dash, shifter, and center console. The seats are wrapped in special SVT red and black leather, which is also located on the door panels. Those who have driven the Mustang GT will notice the GT500’s thicker steering wheel grips, and that the gauge locations have been swapped to make the tachometer more prominent. The battery gauge is gone, replaced by a boost gauge for the supercharger, and all gauges are trimmed in titanium.

07_F_CGT500_SVT_indrvrdash.jpg

07_F_CGT500_SVT_exfrpass34.jpg

lethaljay said:
Hmmm doesnt sound like very much BREAKING and WOW! kinda news, more of the typical same ole' cobra talk. The stuff that got my attention was the "06" Cobra.. They either must be idiots or have more info then us.

Venturing to guess - old information = idiots. Don't get all excited, Jay. :p From what I have seen it is still slated to be an 07. Maybe some will get lucky and get an 07 Cobra in November or December of 06, but, I highly doubt it and any who do will not be selling it for less than double the MSRP. LOL...

Jenn

I don't know the dealer I ordered my 06 gt from said they will be selling cobras at sticker also (they sell gt's at sticker)
Not sure if it was for the people already on the list for one or throughout the whole production run

but ya I think it has been established already that thr 450 is an estimate not the actual number but even if it is that isn't really something to be dissapointed with
It still is going to be the fastest mustang to date

Klay said:
I don't know the dealer I ordered my 06 gt from said they will be selling cobras at sticker also (they sell gt's at sticker)
Not sure if it was for the people already on the list for one or throughout the whole production run

but ya I think it has been established already that thr 450 is an estimate not the actual number but even if it is that isn't really something to be dissapointed with
It still is going to be the fastest mustang to date

Not sure where you are located geographically Klay, but up here in Rocklin, CA (outside of Sacramento) current 05 V-6s are still running $3,000-$5,000 over sticker and GTs about $8,000 and that is for the base model at most dealerships.

I know that when Future Ford or Folsom Lake Ford sell their inventory they are very hesitant to sell at MSRP and that is only if a car hasn't moved in a few weeks. Their specialty vehicles, Roush, Saleen, SVT are nearly always sold at a premium and people are willing to pay it. Money flows well in this part of town and people just don't care.

As for the fastest Mustang to date, yes, I agree. That is a fact. I just feel that with the internals that they have on the engine and the suspension upgrades, it could be more towards the 500 - 600 HP range. Maybe they just don't want folks out there driving a 600HP rocket. :nice:

Jenn

This "news" is oh so old. Kinda tired of hearing it and what people are gonna end up paying for it. We'll have to buck down for a few more months and see what they unveil at the Detroit show. Then, and only then will we, the public, know what the production car will be. Until then, it's all hearsay, speculation, and rumors.

Jenns05Stang said:
Not sure where you are located geographically Klay, but up here in Rocklin, CA (outside of Sacramento) current 05 V-6s are still running $3,000-$5,000 over sticker and GTs about $8,000 and that is for the base model at most dealerships.

I know that when Future Ford or Folsom Lake Ford sell their inventory they are very hesitant to sell at MSRP and that is only if a car hasn't moved in a few weeks. Their specialty vehicles, Roush, Saleen, SVT are nearly always sold at a premium and people are willing to pay it. Money flows well in this part of town and people just don't care.

As for the fastest Mustang to date, yes, I agree. That is a fact. I just feel that with the internals that they have on the engine and the suspension upgrades, it could be more towards the 500 - 600 HP range. Maybe they just don't want folks out there driving a 600HP rocket. :nice:

Jenn

I live north of Sacramento and know that when I went to buy a 1997 F-150 back in 1996 that Folsom Lake Ford had a massive dealer markup. The trick is to head to po-dunk places like Colusa or Gridley, CA to buy your vehicle on order. I had NO problem getting the exact same thing for around $400 over invoice that Folsom Lake Ford wanted for about $2,500 over MSRP. The Sacramento area dealerships are for test driving ONLY!

Well jenn, I live in orange county and your right about the markups
Most of the dealers around here are putting crazy markups on theirs cars but there are a few dealerships willing to sell cars at sticker
This particular dealer is only doing sticker (probably a marketing thing) in order to retain more business than these other dealership gouging everyone

but I'm sure a few dealerships will sell the cobra at msrp, I don't think they all are that greedy

Not sure of the Orange County area, but Central Valley has been HOTTER THAN HELL! The entire state. Not like when it would be 110+ for a few days. It has ranged 100+ for nearly 3 weeks straight with a few days dipping below 97!

I can handle a few hot days, but the rain into mid May should have been a forewarning of things to come. :( Mid-90s into Late-October.

Jenn

ctbaker said:
I live north of Sacramento and know that when I went to buy a 1997 F-150 back in 1996 that Folsom Lake Ford had a massive dealer markup. The trick is to head to po-dunk places like Colusa or Gridley, CA to buy your vehicle on order. I had NO problem getting the exact same thing for around $400 over invoice that Folsom Lake Ford wanted for about $2,500 over MSRP. The Sacramento area dealerships are for test driving ONLY!

LOL... po-dunk...Colusa and Gridley. Don't forget Clovis and Fresno. :D

I should know better by now, but I am like a junkie with crack, sometimes you don't care about the size of the rock as long as it get's you what you need. Hahahahaha.....

Have you looked at the prices that Folsom Lake Ford is asking for the 05s?

VEHICLE INFO
MSRP: $36,010
Ext. Color: SONIC BLUE MET
Trans: 44L
Engine: V6 Cylinder EngineCyl/4.0 Liter VERT
Stock #: 502014
Vin: 1ZVHT84N755243617

MSRP: $28,025
Ext. Color: WINDVL BLUE MET
Trans: 44F
Engine: V6 Cylinder EngineCyl/4.0 Liter Coupe
Stock #: 501956
Vin: 1ZVFT80N755239340

MSRP: $39,075
Ext. Color: PERFORMANCE WHT
Trans: *call for transmission
Engine: 8 Cylinder EngineCyl/4.6 Liter VERT
Stock #: 501831
Vin: 1ZVFT85HX55165074

CONTACT INFO

Folsom Lake Ford
800-655-0555
12755 Folsom Blvd.
Folsom CA 95630

Any takers? :rlaugh:

Jenn

Jenns05Stang said:
LOL... po-dunk...Colusa and Gridley. Don't forget Clovis and Fresno. :D

I should know better by now, but I am like a junkie with crack, sometimes you don't care about the size of the rock as long as it get's you what you need. Hahahahaha.....

Have you looked at the prices that Folsom Lake Ford is asking for the 05s?

VEHICLE INFO
MSRP: $36,010
Ext. Color: SONIC BLUE MET
Trans: 44L
Engine: V6 Cylinder EngineCyl/4.0 Liter VERT
Stock #: 502014
Vin: 1ZVHT84N755243617

MSRP: $28,025
Ext. Color: WINDVL BLUE MET
Trans: 44F
Engine: V6 Cylinder EngineCyl/4.0 Liter Coupe
Stock #: 501956
Vin: 1ZVFT80N755239340

MSRP: $39,075
Ext. Color: PERFORMANCE WHT
Trans: *call for transmission
Engine: 8 Cylinder EngineCyl/4.6 Liter VERT
Stock #: 501831
Vin: 1ZVFT85HX55165074

CONTACT INFO

Folsom Lake Ford
800-655-0555
12755 Folsom Blvd.
Folsom CA 95630

Any takers? :rlaugh:

Jenn

WOW... born and raised in Concord, CA, left when I was 19 and have not been back to live since... I payed 26,915 for my black on tan vert v6 in Indiana, msrp, and probably could have done better with more patience, but... 36010 :rlaugh: for a v6 vert... once again... WOW