2006 v6 Mustang clutch quality issues

brokenford

Mar 18, 2008
Hello all. I have some information that some of you may find interesting if you own an ’05 or ’06 4.0 V6 Mustang. Just over a year ago I bought a 2006 Mustang from a dealership. I use it as my daily driver and drive about 150 km (almost 100 miles) on the highway daily. As a result the car just rolled over 60,000 kms this week. At about 55,000 kms I noticed the clutch was starting to slip. I figured this wouldn’t be such a big deal since I purchased the most expensive extended warranty that Ford Canada offered. Boy was I wrong. I went to the dealership at the beginning of March, 2008. Even though my “bumper to bumper” warranty was for 5 years, 120,000 km, I was told that clutch was only covered for 1 year or 20,000 kms unless there was something else causing the premature clutch wear. The dealership told me that they would order a new clutch and inspect my car then to see what was causing the problem but that they couldn’t do it before they got the new part since they couldn’t put it back together with the defective clutch.

As I needed my car for work, I agreed to this and they ordered the part; I was to receive a phone call once the new part had arrived. After a week and a half and not receiving any phone calls from the dealership I went in to find out what was going on. It turns out that they couldn’t get a new clutch because ALL of them had been sent to the manufacturer, in Turkey, because of “quality issues”. Furthermore they couldn’t get a new clutch until June, 2008. The only other options they gave me were to void my warranty by putting an aftermarket clutch in my car or call Ford Canada’s Customer Service line.

Without going into all the details here the customer service line was almost completely useless. The CSRs have almost no ability to help you and you have no access to their supervisors. This whole experience has been a complete nightmare and I can’t see myself ever buying a new car from Ford again. Maybe I’ll use this as an excuse to install a stage 3 clutch so I can drop in that supercharger I’ve been waiting on so I didn’t void my warranty.

If you want more information I have started a blog with quite a bit more detail at Problems I am having with Ford Canada

Please feel free to visit it and leave a comment if you wish. Hope this info can help someone, especially if you are contemplating buying a new Ford.

- Sean

• Sponsors (?)

The irritating part is that I cannot get a replacement part from Ford because they had to send the entire lot back to Turkey and putting in a replacement, aftermarket clutch will void my warranty (so the dealership told me). Besides, I shouldn't have to be forced to an aftermarket part because of an unusually long unavailability. Not to mention the fact that if Ford had a problem with an entire batch of clutches it is reasonable to assume that they may have had quality issues with some of their factory installed clutches.