2007 GT (w/ some Hertz mods) vs GT 500

griffbl

May 10, 2001
Just sold my 2005 GT, and am also upset about the weight of the new Shelby. Am thinking about ordering a 2007 GT, 5 speed, loaded, polished 18's, Black /Black, spoiler delete (will add Shelby spoiler), and am looking forward to Sirius (addicted) and the auxilliary input (finally) for an Ipod. The shaker 1000 indeed kills the trunk, so I am undecided there. The new GT appearance package is appealing ONLY for the rolled exhaust tips, which help immeasurably. I would add a billet shorty antenna (which really helps a lot), Hurst 8 ball shifter, maybe driveshaft, and that is about it. Another nice feature on my 2005 was a directional-temp rear view mirror, which is also addictive, and makes the car more true "GT" oriented (I highly recommend that addition, but the install was a beast-dealer did it). Any thoughts on improving the suspension geometry and HP easily via the exact Hertz or CS mods? I think like that, and lighter than the new GT 500, you get some of both worlds, and a lot less money. I appreciate your input.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not 100% sure of the question here but to be remotely close to what the GT-500 is all about you'll have to get a supercharger for your car. The GT-500 is about silly amounts of power and suspension/brake upgrades to handle that power, some people seem to miss that point.

I know that, and should have been more clear....for me, a LITTLE more power, with better handling is the right thing, without too much bling....I like the 500, just wished it were lighter, and I know that is not easy to engineer at the price. Normally aspirated is for me.

Auxiliary Audio Input Jack

Ford's quote on build sheets for 2007 is "auxiliary audio input jack".....that doesn't sound like an fm modulator, and I certainly hope it is in fact a jack. If so, it SHOULD be a right and left input so you can use a simple pigtail adapter from Radio shack ($9) that uses a 1/8" input for the Ipod on the headphone jack, and it "Y's" into a left and right channel output that should plug right into the head unit........if it only has one input on the head unit, then I am stumped. (I am sure someone out there knows). If it is an FM modulator, that is a little better than simply broadcasting it via using an FM modulator on an ipod, but not a lot better.....

griffbl said:
Just sold my 2005 GT, and am also upset about the weight of the new Shelby. I think like that, and lighter than the new GT 500, you get some of both worlds, and a lot less money.

Did you sell your '05 GT to get a GT500? It's really puzzling that you'd consider the GT500 if you're really just looking for a "LITTLE more power." :shrug:

poor choice of words on my part...what I should have said is that with 300+ horsepower, and a few tweaks, the appearance, performance and handling of the GT is just fine....the GT 500, while sweet, is simply not worth it to me.....I like the whole package, and the extra acceleration is not a good trade for the diminished handling....

cowtown-

every test report I have read (three) talks about the extra weight, and resulting front end heavy distribution being much more pronounced than in the standard gt as a result of the iron block, supercharger, etc.

griffbl said:
cowtown-

every test report I have read (three) talks about the extra weight, and resulting front end heavy distribution being much more pronounced than in the standard gt as a result of the iron block, supercharger, etc.

Everything I've read the handling is better the the GT.Also the average joe can run mid 12's with the GT 500 where the average joe is lucky to break into the 13's with the GT.

Saleen S/C is the way to go in my opinion. Everything fits the way it should. Much better looking in person in my opinion than Shelby. Ford should have had Steve Saleen involved on the Shelby project. Car would have turned out much better iam sure. What's with all the Shelby identification logos poorly placed all over the car? Tire to wheelwell fit should have been tightened up ALOT! It's a real disapointment to me.:shrug:

slammer1 said:
Saleen S/C is the way to go in my opinion. Everything fits the way it should. Much better looking in person in my opinion than Shelby. Ford should have had Steve Saleen involved on the Shelby project. Car would have turned out much better iam sure. What's with all the Shelby identification logos poorly placed all over the car? Tire to wheelwell fit should have been tightened up ALOT! It's a real disapointment to me.:shrug:

I agree. In fact I just purchased my car and it was between a GT500 (and waiting for a price close to MSRP) and a SC Saleen. I went with the Saleen and have zero regrets. At 435 HP for 2006 the SC Saleen is just about the same power/weight ratio as the GT500. 2007 will see this HP boosted to 475 and power/weight will beat the GT500 (475 upgrade kits are available from Saleen now for their superchargers already). Not to mention the handling on the Saleen is amazing. Extremely well balanced car.

I would get a 2007 GT and spend the extra money making it the way you like it. I like the aluminum 3v 4.6L engine more then 5.4L iron block engine anyway. I also like the saleen supercharger more. The only thing I would like to have from the shelby that my 05 GT doesnt have is the 6-speed tranny. Just my opinion though.

It depends on what you are going to do with this car. Bassically the Cobra is a boat. If you are going to take it out on weekends and impress your freinds buy the Cobra.
If you are going to drive it to work everyday, buy the GT.
I have a 97 F150, 4.6L with a Paxxon supercharger, and intercooler. A superchargers last between 60 to 100 thousand miles and have to be replaced. That is if you keep up with the routine mainteniance and dont let it go and cause some engine damage.

It is all about what you are looking for.

Just for the record, I am rated at 340 rwhp and currently have 267K miles on my truck. This is why I buy Fords.