2008 boss

rrl

Aug 29, 2003
this last saturday evening july 28 i happened to see a 2008 boss mustang.it looks like the parnelli jones edition.the one i saw was bright yellow with black stripes along side that simlpy said boss.because the dream cruise is about to get under way the manufacturers bring these cars out in public.the guy driving was probably an engineer.he revved beside me and it sounded good.i would have liked to race but cops are everywhere and i had 2 more adults and 2 kids in my car which already is heavy since its a convertible.i would like to know however,whether the engine is a hurricane 6.2l.i heard its the new engine ford is developing and hp is anywhere betw 390 and 435 naturally aspirated.the interiors are pretty stark as well to eliminate weight and ac can be deleted from what i've heard.ford expects to sell quite a few of these.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think the Hurricane motor has been slated for use in any Mustang as of yet and am not sure it's even going to be applied to any project (sadly). Most use of the coined word "Hurricane" is with respect to brainstorming and potential concepts that I've seen. Perhaps we have some insiders here that can shed more light on it...

While it's possible that you saw the new Boss, it's more than likely that you saw a dealer package dressing up a car as a Boss. Usually pics get leaked to the internet before they're seen on the street. Also, Ford usually doesn't drive mules around labeled. They're usually covered in crap to make them "unrecognizable".

You shouldn't be street racing even if cops are not present and certainly not with kids in the car. My two cents.
I also agree that you probably saw a dealer version of a Boss.

i would like to know however,whether the engine is a hurricane 6.2l.i heard its the new engine ford is developing and hp is anywhere betw 390 and 435 naturally aspirated.the interiors are pretty stark as well to eliminate weight and ac can be deleted from what i've heard.ford expects to sell quite a few of these.

This was nearly the same case as the 2000 Cobra R. It had the N/A 5.4 pumping out close to 400 HP and had the same stark interior. So I don't think it could be out of the question for a BOSS.

My dealership has a "replica" parnelli jones car on the lot. Actually they have two of them. It even says 302 right above the fender. I inquired about the car and the salesman told me it was just a replica. That is probably what you saw.

Shinoda owns the Boss name, I believe, so it's likely to be a copy. I just don't see Ford paying to license that name when they've got plenty of their own and an existing license with Shelby.

Actually, from what I understand, Shinoda owns "Boss Shinoda", and must use "Shinoda" in the name. For still owns "Boss" by itself.

I don't think the Hurricane motor has been slated for use in any Mustang as of yet and am not sure it's even going to be applied to any project (sadly). Most use of the coined word "Hurricane" is with respect to brainstorming and potential concepts that I've seen. Perhaps we have some insiders here that can shed more light on it...

According to my August MotorTrend, the 6.2L Hurricane, or variant, is to be used in the MY09 F-150 as an optional engine.

Correct. They have tagged the 6.2L that will be used (purportedly) in the 2009 Specialty Mustang as the "Boss" .

After Hurricane Katrine, Ford swung to the political correct side of marketing and killed the Hurricane name. Guess Jeep better kill the Hurricane concept now and GMC better recall the Typhoon as well. :rolleyes:

I read in Truck Trend awhile back that the new hurricane was going to be slated for use in the mustang and new lighting, won't be an option in the normal F-150 like everyone had hoped. I also heard that the boss edition will have some form of the 5.0 like the original, Ford brought the boss 302 back as a create motor, so could a FI version of the boss 302 find it's way into the new boss mustang, it would only make sense. If they could get it to meet emissions standards. There's also the option of a detuned 5.0 dohc create motor that ford is selling, or don't detune it, 500 hp boss 302 would work for me.

I read in Truck Trend awhile back that the new hurricane was going to be slated for use in the mustang and new lighting, won't be an option in the normal F-150 like everyone had hoped. I also heard that the boss edition will have some form of the 5.0 like the original, Ford brought the boss 302 back as a create motor, so could a FI version of the boss 302 find it's way into the new boss mustang, it would only make sense. If they could get it to meet emissions standards. There's also the option of a detuned 5.0 dohc create motor that ford is selling, or don't detune it, 500 hp boss 302 would work for me.

But would it work for you when dealers list it for $60K+:shrug:

The Boss 302 crate motor is being released from FoMoCo later this month but according to Paul Randle from Ford has told me back on June 29th in Indianapolis, that their is no plans for at least thru 3yrs for the return of the any Boss Mustang.. They are getting to release the 08 Bullitt Mustang and it is all they are looking at for now as well as the KR500 Shelby..Bummer!!:bang:

Correct. They have tagged the 6.2L that will be used (purportedly) in the 2009 Specialty Mustang as the "Boss" .

After Hurricane Katrine, Ford swung to the political correct side of marketing and killed the Hurricane name. Guess Jeep better kill the Hurricane concept now and GMC better recall the Typhoon as well. :rolleyes:

Yep, they're thinking of renaming the Lightning the "Slightly Overcast with Sunny Intervals".

I dont know about you guys but im sick of waiting for a BOSS edition stang!
I turned my grabber orange 07 into a boss look-a-like
If ford would'nt do it, I guess I had to do it myself minus the new engine.

2008 Saleen Boss 302

You guys are all wrong. There will be a Boss 302 from Saleen next year. It has an N/A 5.0L with forged internals like the PJ however it is said to have 440HP. Furthermore, after speaking with an engineer, I came to understand that there will no longer be any 281 mustangs coming from Saleen. They will all be 302s. The top of the line stang will be the $80K S302E that will produce 650HP but will be rated at 600HP. They are even toying around with a blown boss. I work in a laboratory down the street from the Irvine HQ and I see these cars all day long. I recently came across a PJ Saleen with a blown 302 in it. For now here are the pics of the new Saleen Boss 302 prototype. This thing is very fast and sounds really mean. I got to watch the engineer make a couple of 1/8th mile runs down my street. This car is an automatic but it will be availible with the T6060. Sorry about the pic size. Email me for full size pics.

Attachments

• S Boss 302 Pass.jpg
    S Boss 302 Pass.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 180
  • S Boss DR 3 corner.jpg
    S Boss DR 3 corner.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 142
The current base MSRP for the Saleen is just under $44K. This is using the 281 with a few bolt ons for power increase. I'm sure the 302 will jump that up in price. The PJ Edition comes in at just under $60K. The Boss may be right there as well. Noway would I even think about spending that much! Then again if Ford actually does the Boss, with dealer markup it would be $60K as well.:nonono:
I'm with orange 07 as far as building your own. To me, I could care less about the value of a car as I drive the **** out of them. 28K a year will kill the value of any SE car!

Saleen is doing a Boss, but Ford still has plans on a true Boss. They're doing one limited edition a year. The Bullitt is actually just an add-on package, like the Cali special, so I don't know that that really counts. We'll see. But Ford still has plans on a Mach1 and a Boss.