2008 GT vs. 2009 BOSS Possibility

Okay. I'm having a hard time deciding to get a new 08 GT or wait for a possible BOSS. I really really really really like the idea of a BOSS Mustang coming out eventually and I don't see why Ford wouldn't ever bring it back, so there will be one...eventually. When, however, is a different story and I don't think that I am willing to wait any longer than I already have. I've been wanting a Mustang of my own since I knew what a car was. I'm 21 now and it's driving me crazy. I love everything there is about Mustangs and have FINALLY talked myself out of trying to preserve the car incase in some parallel universe it would be worth anything profitable 50+ years down the road. I know that I want to treat my Mustang with the spirt of its roots and have fun and enjoy the heritage and power and possibility. Mainly the possibility. But my delima still stands that I want to modify the cars appearance and performace parts to my personal muscular liking. I'm concerned that if I bought the BOSS that I would be less willing to do such things to it in fear that it wouldn't be a BOSS anylonger. The worse part is, there's not even an inkling of a clue as to whether or not it's even going to happen on this platform. I don't even know if I'm waiting for something I may not even like. I'm really excited about the possibilities of the BOSS and whatever engine Ford finally decides to go with, but I'm sick of waiting. Plus, there's always the possibility that I may LOVE the thing but it will be too rediculously expensive to own one. I'm a soldier in the United States Army, I don't make much green. I have been researching for years on the Mustang and am FINALLY coming around to an idea of maybe what I want mine to look like. I'm very anal about this because unlike some people whose income excedes mine, I don't want to invest more money than is nessicary to get my Mustang looking the way I feel it deserves to look. I want to get it right the first time. Which is why I've spent so much time looking and researching and comparing parts and prices and tuners and manufacturers. I just want some 2 cents from others out there on whether I'm waiting for the wrong thing and I should go ahead and follow what I've come so close to, or wait for what could be the greatest thing to happen to Mustangs since Phil Clark drew the beloved and worshiped "Running Stallion" we so love. The BOSS could be revolutionary or desasterous. I don't want to have waited for the wrong thing. And I especially don't make the money to but something twice as much as we would all love to own multiple Mustangs!

Sorry for the excruciatingly long post. It's been quite a while since I've been active on here and I know you all can be of great help. Thank you in advance. :D

• Sponsors (?)

first off, thanks for the service! :flag:

more information should be available soon on the BOSS. its been really quiet this summer, so automotive news should be popping up soon. if you can wait till SEMA, im sure there will be even more ideas for you to put into your head. i expect some kind of announcement on the BOSS by then. car and driver reported this information about the challenger:
The Challenger is to launch in April 2008 as an ’08 model—not an ’09—for reasons the automaker has not yet disclosed.​
so i expect BOSS information soon so ford has something special to compete with the new challenger.

another thing you have to think about is if ford does make a boss edition the dealers are going to ruin it for everyone just like the gt500 and jack the price way up so that noone can afford it...and thanks for your service it is much appreciated

It's been confirmed that one SE model for 08 is the Bullitt. It hasn't been confirmed what, if any, SE model will be released for 09, but it probably won't have the BOSS name, since that name is owned by another company. Unless Ford and that company sign a licensing agreement to use the name, it won't happen. It probably makes more sense to make a S197 version of the Mach 1 following the Bullitt model. Whatever the SE model will be for 09, you can be assured it will cost a lot more than a regular GT model, and the dealers will get whatever the market will bear relative to a 2nd sticker.

I'd like to see some actual hp pumped into the SE model since there's such a huge gap between the GT and GT500, not just 4.6 w/ cai, exhaust and a reflash. A 350-400 N/A 5.0/5.4 (or whatever) would be pretty sweet, then make that motor the next GT motor in 2010.

Ice Hawk – I know first hand what you mean about waiting for and wanting a special Mustang that may or may not appear, as well as not having the money to pay for it. I’m in the Army too and have been for nearly 24 years. It’s been a great life with lots of sacrifice but well worth it. I was in your shoes when I first joined and I wanted a 20th anniversary GT 350 in a bad way. I never got it (I was a Private then) but over the years I had my fair share of fun Mustangs. I even ordered a brand new 2003 Mach 1 which I picked up the weekend before I deployed to Iraq. I traded that car a few years later and now I have a 2007 GT/CS and I love it. My advice to you: Ford is not known for delivering on every promised car and often when they do, it costs more than what most are willing to pay for, especially if it is a limited model and the stealerships start jacking the prices. With that in mind, patience is its own reward but always have a plan B. If you wait and follow a savings plan you will be in much better shape to act when the time comes. Save your money and see what Ford does. If Ford does release a BOSS Mustang in 09 you will have the money for a down payment and it will be more affordable. If they don’t, the current generation of Mustang GTs will be plentiful and more affordable, especially with the fresh competition from Camaro and Challenger. You could then pick yourself up a nice GT in the color and the options you want and modify at will. In the end you will be much happier with your choice because it will be on your terms, not guessing what Ford will do. Good luck and thanks for your service!

Thank you all for the input. I haven't really accomplished anything in the Army yet, so thanks really isn't nessicary. To Blu-Steel, I really appreciate your advice. That is more the option that I am leaning with. Saving money either way and hoping for something I am satisfied with to come out from Ford as a SE and if not then invest that money into a new GT to make my own Mustang on "my terms." Being in 24 years is true dedication. I am thanking you for paving the way for new soldiers like myself to stepup and take command. I've only been in for 10 months and am heading to Campbell with 101st on Friday. Thanks again for any more advice or possible news you may have heard on the BOSS. :)

Ice Hawk - Sounds like you have a good plan, good luck and don't loses sight of your goals. Good luck in the Army as well. People always say this but its true; time go by very fast. The 24 years seems to have flown by but there were many times that it felt like it really dragged. I found myself always waiting for something to be over with, like my 3 Korea tours, Iraq, and all the other things we do in the Army. I finally figured out I while I was waiting my life was going by so now I take the time to "stop and smell the roses" no matter what I'm doing. That's one of the biggest reasons I drive Mustangs. :D In High School I had a 66 Mustang and now I have a 66 and a 07 Mustang so lifes good.

RhinoGT - I work at MANSCEN and work training, material, doctrine and organizational issues with Geospatial Engineering (mapping, satellite imagery, etc...), and my office is at the University of Missouri Technology Park. My CS is Vista blue (hence Blu-Steel) and my 66 is Arcadian Blue. I wasn't specifically looking to get two blue Mustangs but it just worked out that way. I was actually looking to buy a Red 07 but when I saw the blue CS I knew that was the car for me. I haven't seen your car yet; I'll have to keep an eye out for it if you come up this way. I really like the pictures I've seen of the window louvers, it would be good to see what one looks like up close.