2009 4.0 V6 Mustang - Engine Removal + Replacement

SlowS197

Dec 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Hello,
This is my first forum post, I've been searching around for tutorials specific to my model Mustang, but found nothing so here I am lol. I have had my Mustang for about 10 months now, had a thermostat housing go and lost all my coolant. I was 80 miles from home and I used water instead of coolant to get myself home (Idiotic of me I know). In doing this, I blew my headgasket. I've been looking around for head gaskets fixes too, and all I have learned from this is that the repair is complex and requires expensive tools. With my motor at 130,000 miles and having other problems somewhat frequently, I have decided to purchase a used motor with significantly less miles. I am no novice, but I am not extremely experienced either. That leads me to my point, is this a realistic plan? I wouldn't be able to put much more than $2,000 (working college student). I really don't want to lose this car. I've put a decent amount of time and money into it and I'd love a summer project.

That being said, is there anyone out there who has done this? What tools and supplies should I have going into this project? Are there any parts that I should anticipate replacing? Any tips, pictures, or just general knowledge is much appreciated.

Thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)