2011 Mustang Leaked !!!

Also...and this is just through the grapevine, Fords dropping in the 5.0 because the mustang is gonna have to be adjusted before 2012 to meet the 2012 safety standards, which will add some more weight. If what I've heard is correct that it currently does not meet the 2012 requirements (but the Camaro and Challenger do).

We'll see.

What are the new safety standards? I googled and didn't find anything and I'm not about to dig. And didn't the Mustang score 5 star front crash test rating while the Camaro got 4 stars? I think it'd be the other way around as far as having to make changes to comply with new standards. (Not flaming, just asking, maybe I'm not understanding)

• Sponsors (?)

The GTs are weighing in the 35xx lb range; still lighter than a '03-'04 Cobra, which is good.

I'd agree that with 400 hp, it's not going to tromp a new SS. But, here's the thing; is it 400 "Ford" horsepower, or is it 400 "real" horsepower? I don't wanna bring up cars of yore, but if I'm not mistaken, Ford had issues back in 2000 with the Cobra and it turned out that all of the horses were not in the stable, so to speak (Remember "the Fix?") The same thing happened with the Mazda RX-8. In fact, the RX-8 was so down on advertised horsepower that people were returning them, from what I understand.

And then there's GM. The LT1 was rated at 275-285 hp in the F-Bodies, but was making closer to 300-305 hp at the crank. And then, there was the LS1 that was rated at 305 hp, but was making more along the lines of 345 hp at the crank.

...So, how much power is that 426 hp LS3 really making? Hmmm, I dunno; to motivate a 3900-4000 lb car down the track at 110 mph, I'm gonna guess that it's making around 450 hp.

I would hope that after the 2000 Cobra they will have learned their lesson (And again, I'm being optimistic here) I've seen a lot about the stock 2010 manuals putting down around 280 HP at the wheels which would indicate that they are slightly underrated as that would put it around 330 HP at the crank assuming 15% drivetrain loss. So underrated a little bit...not as much as GM likes to underrate. Then again, weren't the 03 and 04 Cobras were "slightly" underrated? :D

On that note, I've got a buddy with a dyno at his Corvette shop and he told me to bring the car over to see what she's puttin down. I oughta do that next week when I have time, to see if these numbers come to frutition.

The LS3s with 6M are dynoing in the 385 Rwhp range, which means your right....although the L99s are hitting around 290-310Rwhp.....THEY ARE GETTING KILLED by Torque managment. Its bad when a Tune gets you 20-30 Rwhp....somethings wrong, There running so rich its off the charts !!!!

Also...and this is just through the grapevine, Fords dropping in the 5.0 because the mustang is gonna have to be adjusted before 2012 to meet the 2012 safety standards, which will add some more weight. If what I've heard is correct that it currently does not meet the 2012 requirements (but the Camaro and Challenger do).

We'll see.

Unbelievable. These vehicles just keep getting heavier and heavier. I don't understand it; these companies are worried about gas mileage, yet vehicles continue to get heavier and get larger engines. Someone wanna explain this ridiculous train of thought to me, because apparently I'm too dumb to understand this kind of logic.

Damned if I'm going to buy a 4000 lb "sports car." :notnice:

^^Just heresay for now, But I mean you would have to expect a weight gain though, I mean Fords gonna put a beefer Tranny, Engine and a bigger brake Unit also im sure the suspension is going to get beefed up along with upgraded safety equipment to handle the increase and stress...Thats good for a good 200-300 lbs. Dosent mean that the Mustang is gonna suffer. Enginnering is what its all about right ? Albeit its still running low 13s with ease.

What are the new safety standards? I googled and didn't find anything and I'm not about to dig. And didn't the Mustang score 5 star front crash test rating while the Camaro got 4 stars? I think it'd be the other way around as far as having to make changes to comply with new standards. (Not flaming, just asking, maybe I'm not understanding)

Yeah, its all here say....Ive just heard that in 2012 new safety regs come into play. Im no expert and it all could be false. Dunno...........AND YES YOUR MUSTANG RATED 5 STARS lol:rlaugh: Apparently the reason the Camaro and Challenger came in so porky was because of all the Safty requirements they were going to need in the upcoming years. Again its all heresay, and again.....we only got 4 Stars :bs:....(It was rigged):mad:

^^Just heresay for now, But I mean you would have to expect a weight gain though, I mean Fords gonna put a beefer Tranny, Engine and a bigger brake Unit also im sure the suspension is going to get beefed up along with upgraded safety equipment to handle the increase and stress...Thats good for a good 200-300 lbs. Dosent mean that the Mustang is gonna suffer. Enginnering is what its all about right ? Albeit its still running low 13s with ease.

Well, the Nissan 370Z just lost 2xx lbs, and it meets safety standards, so I'm not going to buy the whole, "It has to meet safety standards" story if that's what Ford tries to sell. :shrug: Safety standards or not, there is no excuse for a mid-sized car to weigh 4000 lbs.

Here's something to chew on. A 1971 Caprice weighed just over 4000 lbs. Ever seen the size of a 1971 Caprice? A 1966 Chevelle SS 396 ci weighed around 3300-3400 lbs. A 1962 Nova SS weighed 2700 lbs. They're all made of steel. A 1970 Nova SS weighed 2900-3100 lbs.

Safety or not, there's no way in Hell that with the use of today's "composite" materials and technology, a car shouldn't be safe unless it's tipping the scales at 4000 lbs. That's just ridiculous. I don't care how fast one of these high-horsepower 4000 lb cars is in a straight line. The roads bend, too. I'm gonna be really angry if I wind up stuck in some buzzy ricer because they're the only cars that are coming in at reasonable weights that aren't going to hinder their performance in the bends. IMO, the 370Z is the best affordable sports car on the planet. It makes 330 (or 350 hp in the Nismo) horses, and it weighs 3200 lbs. It's small, wide, and nimble.

No excuse for that 370Z's V6 to be making more power than "America's #1 Pony Car," either, but that's another discussion for another place.

Yeah, its all here say....Ive just heard that in 2012 new safety regs come into play. Im no expert and it all could be false. Dunno...........AND YES YOUR MUSTANG RATED 5 STARS lol:rlaugh: Apparently the reason the Camaro and Challenger came in so porky was because of all the Safty requirements they were going to need in the upcoming years. Again its all heresay, and again.....we only got 4 Stars :bs:....(It was rigged):mad:

Just because it got 4 stars doesn't mean it's a bad car. It just means it got 4 stars among cars its size. You could take a Chevy Aveo and it may get a 5-star crash rating, but that's among its class. A 4-star Camaro is still safer than a 5-star Aveo.

^^^ yep....I was just poking fun with Fast 05 ...... I hear what your saying, but the 370Z is a two seater also. The Infinite G35 weighs in around 3700lbs... Take the Taurus for example, when Ford added the Eco-Boost, the thing gained 300lbs, because of all the compotents to make it handle the additional Horsepower and most important...torque. I guess the question is, is the 5.0 worth the extra weight....my opinion is yes. If the Mustang comes in weighing 3700lbs I dont see a problem as long as it holds it well.

^^^ yep....I was just poking fun with Fast 05

But I was trying to poke fun at you first :D

But yes, I agree the Mustang will gain some weight. I'm not an engineer and don't pretend to be one, so I can't speculate as to how much. I don't think it will gain as much as the Taurus SHO did, because the GT is already a pretty capable vehicle, but better breaks and a beefier transmission will add some weight.

So heres what it has to atleast have in 2012: For 2012 it needs side curtain airbags, roof reinforcements that hold 3x the cars weight, door reinforcements that hold 3x the cars weight and stability control. Im not sure if theres more than that.

i am not so sure it's going to gain 200-300 pounds.. You guys are getting caught up in bigger motor displacement = more weight but what you are overlooking is the 3v modular 4.6 is HEAVY and this motor is going to be all aluminum.. external dimensions of the new motor will probably be similar to a modular

This engine might be LIGHTER than the 3v 4.6

transmission might be a bit heavier if it is the 6 speed and the rest of the car will probably stay the same so you might have the gt weight about the same as now.

i am not so sure it's going to gain 200-300 pounds.. You guys are getting caught up in bigger motor displacement = more weight but what you are overlooking is the 3v modular 4.6 is HEAVY and this motor is going to be all aluminum.. external dimensions of the new motor will probably be similar to a modular

This engine might be LIGHTER than the 3v 4.6

transmission might be a bit heavier if it is the 6 speed and the rest of the car will probably stay the same so you might have the gt weight about the same as now.

Isn't the 4.6L aluminum?

Aluminum Heads I know, but not sure if the block is cast iron....Thought only the 03-04 Cobras got the Cast Iron Block.

Also to reply to SVTTECH ...With the brembo Upgrade isnt that going to up the weight gain. Like I said I think its goin to push the 3700lb mark. I dont think its that big of deal, but I dont see it staying at the current weight. Just my opinion.

Isn't the 4.6L aluminum?

Yes, the heads and block are aluminum. It was in a brochure for my 05 (back in the day) touting that it saves weight, which it does. SS02 is right about the brakes, but I don't see it adding anything significant, as we already got all the suspension upgrades for 2010 so the rest of the car will most likely go unchanged, not including the tranny, who knows what they'll throw in.

Yes, the heads and block are aluminum. It was in a brochure for my 05 (back in the day) touting that it saves weight, which it does. SS02 is right about the brakes, but I don't see it adding anything significant, as we already got all the suspension upgrades for 2010 so the rest of the car will most likely go unchanged, not including the tranny, who knows what they'll throw in.

How strong is the 5spd that's in it now? Will it handle around 435-450 hp?

A guy switched out his front Brembos on the Camaro and saved 100lbs, he couldnt believe it lol

Everything I've found online about the Tremec 3650 (current GT tranny) states it is rated at 360 LB FT of torque, which IMO, seems conservative. I know there are a lot of GTs out there with blowers on them making a lot more than that. Then again, who knows how well it puts up with the extra abuse depending on your driving habits, how often you race it, etc.

Everything I've found online about the Tremec 3650 (current GT tranny) states it is rated at 360 LB FT of torque, which IMO, seems conservative. I know there are a lot of GTs out there with blowers on them making a lot more than that. Then again, who knows how well it puts up with the extra abuse depending on your driving habits, how often you race it, etc.

I would guess that if you're not constantly launching the car, it'll be ok. I'm not a huge drag-racer, so I'd probably be alright with it. I'm more of a "roll into the throttle" type of guy.

Is this current 5spd the same one from the last generation cars, because I'm pretty sure those transmissions were made from glass. I had two buddies, one with a '99 GT, and one with a '00 Cobra, and raced both of them on the highway. Oddly enough, they both blew their transmissions racing me. The guy with the 99 GT downshifted into 3rd from around 55 mph, and the other guy did the same from around 65 mph. I'm not sure whether the '00 Cobras had 5 spds or 6 spds.

360 FTLB Tq is Crankshaft Rated BTW..
A friend of mine put heads and Cams on his 2007 GT and put 391 RWHP and 358 RWTQ thats more than 400 Crank Tq and he destroyed his 3650 in 5000 miles and 10 passes at the 1320. He is converting over to a 6060 this week. Here is the link to Dyno sheets and here is a link to his build

I finally killed my 5R55S with 320RWHP and 330 RWTQ so these are weak too.

I would guess that if you're not constantly launching the car, it'll be ok. I'm not a huge drag-racer, so I'd probably be alright with it. I'm more of a "roll into the throttle" type of guy.

Is this current 5spd the same one from the last generation cars, because I'm pretty sure those transmissions were made from glass. I had two buddies, one with a '99 GT, and one with a '00 Cobra, and raced both of them on the highway. Oddly enough, they both blew their transmissions racing me. The guy with the 99 GT downshifted into 3rd from around 55 mph, and the other guy did the same from around 65 mph. I'm not sure whether the '00 Cobras had 5 spds or 6 spds.

The 05 and up had the 3650, I don't know what the previous years used. I think t45 but I'm sure I'm wrong I just pulled that one out of the air. All I can say is if we're getting 400 HP and TQ soon then we're gonna need a transmission to hold up. The 6 spd Tremec in the '03 Cobra would suffice unless their's something better nowadays.