2011 Starting problem sometimes

• Sponsors (?)

I also have the same problem. It happens quite a bit. My problem with this, it will take out the starter, battery and or alt. after the warranty is up.
I have thought about warranty but, They will not dupilcate the same problem. I wonder is their a fix for this?

I also have the same problem. It happens quite a bit. My problem with this, it will take out the starter, battery and or alt. after the warranty is up.
I have thought about warranty but, They will not dupilcate the same problem. I wonder is their a fix for this?

Hi gtbite98,

Intermittent concerns can be very difficult to diagnose. I would like to assist. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer information. I will work with you to resolve your starting issue.

~Natasha

I have a similar problem. I have read all the posts about this problem and have even taken it in to the dealer who said he couldn't duplicate it. Maybe 3 times a month, I start my 2011 GT and do it exactly what it says in the Owners book. The key is turned to the start possition and released. Sometimes it sounds awful and like the starter is still spinning on the flywheel and the motor has started. Makes everyone near the car turn and look. It almost sounds like if you started an older car and didn't release the key, just spinning on the flywheel. It can't be right. I still have 2 years on the warrantee and will just wait till something breaks. 2 times back to the dealer and no sulution. Any Ideas?

I have a similar problem. I have read all the posts about this problem and have even taken it in to the dealer who said he couldn't duplicate it. Maybe 3 times a month, I start my 2011 GT and do it exactly what it says in the Owners book. The key is turned to the start possition and released. Sometimes it sounds awful and like the starter is still spinning on the flywheel and the motor has started. Makes everyone near the car turn and look. It almost sounds like if you started an older car and didn't release the key, just spinning on the flywheel. It can't be right. I still have 2 years on the warrantee and will just wait till something breaks. 2 times back to the dealer and no sulution. Any Ideas?

Hi milkrun49,

Intermittent concerns can be very difficult to diagnose, and I'm sure your multiple trips to the dealer have been frustrating. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer information so I can assist with your situation.

~Natasha

Deysha
Ford Customer Service Division

Hi, If I may I would like to ad that when this starting problem happens, the car starts but it sounds like the bendix is stuck in the flywheel and grinding till I turn the key to off. Anybody watching me stops to see what the heck I did. Just thought you'd like to know. Gary Parker milkrun49

Deysha
Ford Customer Service Division

Hi, If I may I would like to ad that when this starting problem happens, the car starts but it sounds like the bendix is stuck in the flywheel and grinding till I turn the key to off. Anybody watching me stops to see what the heck I did. Just thought you'd like to know. Gary Parker milkrun49

Hi Gary,

Thank you for the PM. I sent you a reply. Have a great weekend!

~Natasha

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm having the same issue. Two or three times a month, my 2011 GT/CS doesn't fire up straight away. It's always on the third turn of the key that it starts. I've had this happen on both cold and warm starts.

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm having the same issue. Two or three times a month, my 2011 GT/CS doesn't fire up straight away. It's always on the third turn of the key that it starts. I've had this happen on both cold and warm starts.

Hi grobicheau,

Have you had your Mustang diagnosed by your local dealer? They are in the best position to determine if there is a concern. Please send me a private message with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer name/state and I will assist.

~Natasha

Hello all, joining this forum and this discussion as I too am being troubled by this random yet phantom starting problem. For the past 6 months it has at least happened to me 4 times (bought the 2011 V6 in Sept 2010), sometimes it just took a second try to get it to start, sometimes it would just never start no matter how many times I tried, or how long I waited before trying again.

The most annoying thing is that each time the car had to be towed to a Ford service center, they could not reproduce the issue. They had mechanics and engineers performing a bunch of tests on the car, and everything checked out. So they told me my best option is to keep driving the car until the issue comes up again, which I don't think is such a good idea. It has been way too many times I have missed work/appointments because of this problem, I would at least like to know which part of the car is contributing to this.

Last night it happened again, I finally remembered to take a video of the attempted starts. I apologize for the head-tilting.. tried to use a freeware to rotate the video but it would not convert the full video. Thanks in advance! :canada:

Hello all, joining this forum and this discussion as I too am being troubled by this random yet phantom starting problem.

Hi nookie3,

Welcome to the forum! As you are noticing, intermittent concerns can be very difficult to diagnose, so I understand your frustration! Since you are using the :canada:, I'm guessing you are located in Canada. If my assumptions are correct, I suggest calling Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre at 1.800.565.3673 to see if they can assist. If you are located in :flag:, please send me a PM with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help. Have a good day!

~Natasha

Hey all so I’ve been having this same issue with my 2011 mustang. It was really scarce when I got it, but lately it’s been getting worse (about twice a week), and of course when I take it to the dealer they never have any issues starting it.

What really got me upset the last time it happened was because of who I was with. So I was going to lunch with my buddy who is always trying to tell me how much better his new Camaro is than my mustang (a mustang that I sold a pretty bad ass ’07 mustang gt to get because the new 5.0 is sooo sweet); so we get in the car and I go to turn it on and nothing, freaking embarrassing, go to turn it over again nothing “should we take my car? At least it works” jackass right?, third time it turns over but I’m pretty upset.

So I left it with for four days now and its acting fine, I even took video of it not starting and they still won’t believe me. I did a Google search and found that there are ford customer service reps helping out on here, which is awesome, so please help.

My 2011 GT has a starting problem, sometimes. When I turn the key to start position sometimes it just keeps cranking the engine over but doesn't start. I have to turn the key to off and restart it. Its like it gets stuck in the start position and cranks but doesn't start. and i have to turn the key to off to stop it from cranking or it would just crank and not fire up. Any one ever have this happen?[/quote]

Talked to a a Ford Customer Service Rep. about my on going problem I had with my 2011 Mustang GT and what I thought it might be. They had me go to my Ford dealer who was expecting me. Within 24 hours they called me to say that they had ordered a new starter and flyuwheel which were both damaged do to the starter. I should get my car back by next week. I was right and knew this was thee problem Thank you Ford customer Service. G. ( milkrun49)