2011 V6: Widest Tire I Can Fit On Stock Rims

• Sponsors (?)

You talking about the 235/50-18 tires? If so, that's what came with my Mustang. I changed to 255/45-18 tires, now I feel a lot of 'tire roll' when hitting hard turns. I hate that feeling. My next tires will be the factory 235/50-18 size. 255's are just too wide for a 8 inch wide wheel. They do make a 245 on the width but all the second numbers will make the tire taller and you would lose some on your rear gear ratio. I paid big money for my 3.73 gears and I 'do not' want to lose any of it because of my tires :)

You talking about the 235/50-18 tires? If so, that's what came with my Mustang. I changed to 255/45-18 tires, now I feel a lot of 'tire roll' when hitting hard turns. I hate that feeling. My next tires will be the factory 235/50-18 size. 255's are just too wide for a 8 inch wide wheel. They do make a 245 on the width but all the second numbers will make the tire taller and you would lose some on your rear gear ratio. I paid big money for my 3.73 gears and I 'do not' want to lose any of it because of my tires :)

So, I should go with a wider rim to increase tire width?

That depends on how wide you want to go and the wheels you currently have. The 2011 V6 had 3 stock wheel choices: 17x7, 18x8, and 19x9.5 (performance package). Which one do you have and what is your current tire size? You can use a site like Tirerack.com to see the recommended wheel width for corresponding tire sizes. Just remember to pay attention to the aspect ratio so that you don't change your overall tire height by too much.

In regards to your original question of how wide you can go without rubbing, I don't know the answer to that. Although it sounds like David was able to run 255s without rubbing. My guess would be that you can go as wide as the V8 guys so I would search the S197 forums to see the tire sizes that people are using.

Last edited:
I'm looking to replace my tires before too long. The stock size just looks to narrow to me and I want wider tires. What is the widest tire I can run on stock rims/suspension without rubbing issues? Thanks in advance for the information.
The widest I've been able to find for the 17" rim is 225 which is only 10mm wider. Yeah, I'd say get different rims, perhaps the 18" if you can. I have the same concern but not willing to spend too much on it.