2011 vs 2012 Convertible GT

mikemix

Sep 9, 2011
OK, I am a noob for sure, I really want a new Vert 5.0. Were there any big differences between the 12 and 11 ? Should I try to get a better deal on the 11 or go for the 12.. is it worth it?

Also, just doing my own research I have found not many dealers have what I am looking for as far as inventory. So, I assume I have to have a dealer special order?

Are dealers selling at close to invoice ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

Yes to the body style and engine question.

The '12 has programmable garage door opener, a rear backup sensor option and user selectable power steering.

If those things aren't important to you then you can probably get a good deal on an '11 if you find one that has what you want.

As far as ordering and price go... if you're going to special order the car I would recommend using Ford's X-plan. If your employer doesn't offer it, you can join the Mustang Club of America for $50 for and get X-plan through them. X-plan pricing is Invoice - 0.4% and probably most importantly it limits dealer fees to $100.

I used X-plan to buy my car and it just couldn't have been easier. There is no haggling (unless you are negotiating a trade), no fuss, just a fair price on a great car.

If you decide to order a car you want to make sure that your dealer actually has an unused Mustang allocation and that you aren't ordering any options that could hold up the build. For instance, Lava Red is no longer order-able and I'm not sure of the current status but in early summer cars with the EP were getting delayed due to NAV manufacturing issues after the earthquake/tsunami in Japan. I have also see people get mad because it's taken them 3+ months to get a car after they ordered but it was all because the dealer didn't have the allocation.

What are you looking at getting?

Jaybertx, thanks for that info! I found a link that had a list of employers, and my employer IS LISTED! I appreciate you dropping that bit of info to me. Will the X-Plan also work for cars they have on the lot or is it special order only ?

Good info on the allocation as well !

Do you think that this plan is better than a Costco type plan or any others?

I think I want a 2012 GT Convertible Premium / Auto Trans / Nav
Either Black or Grabber Blue, not sure.. Thoughts? I am thinking Blue is unique, but thinking that Black may be more of a resell color (future thinking) and more marketable. Maybe the Race red as a 3rd color option. I also want the rearview cam.

Thanks much for the helpful info!
Mike

X plan will work on any new vehicle even those on the lot. Not familiar with Costco plan? :shrug:

google mustang pictures and look at diff. colors. Don't forget some racing stripes, rocker panel stripes, lemans stripes, hood stripes, etc... can make a big difference in how the car looks to you. Not to mention wheels! Grabber blue with black accents/stripes might look more appealing than all Grabber blue. You can also use the ford.com build your own tool for ideas and try different colors/stripes on the v6,GT, boss and shelby since they have some different color/stripe options.

Good luck!

Jaybertx, thanks for that info! I found a link that had a list of employers, and my employer IS LISTED! I appreciate you dropping that bit of info to me. Will the X-Plan also work for cars they have on the lot or is it special order only ?

Either Black or Grabber Blue, not sure.. Thoughts? I am thinking Blue is unique, but thinking that Black may be more of a resell color (future thinking) and more marketable. Maybe the Race red as a 3rd color option. I also want the rearview cam.

Mike

X-plan is the best pricing out there. The only better plans are A/Z or D plans which are for Ford or dealer employees and their immediate families.

Costco pricing is a gimmick to get Costco customers to buy at a certain local dealer.

Nav shouldn't be a problem, it's available right now on 2012's.

As far as I know special orders do not count against dealer allocation, except for special products like the Raptor, etc...

No ad. Sticker was $30,500. Negotiated selling price was $25,500.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I have to address this.
Below is a copy of an actual base 2012 Mustang GT invoice with a stick-no options. As you can see in the highlighted number below is the dealer cost for this car is $28,454. Calculating that you somehow negotiated buying the car at dead cost and then subtracting the $1,500 rebate would mean the dealer took an actual loss of $1,454 to sell, no give away, a car to you. Not likely on a non ad unit high demand car. $500 up, yeah, but $1,500 negative, naw.

MUSTANG GT COUPE 29310 00 27099 00
2012 MODEL YEAR
L6 KONA BLUE METALLIC
1W CHARCOAL BLACK CLOTH BUCKET
INCLUDED ON THIS VEHICLE
EQUIPMENT GROUP 300A
OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
99F .5.0L 4V TI-VCT V8 NC NC
44X .6-SPEED MANUAL TRANS MT82 NC NC
T3C .P235/50R18 A/S TIRE NC NC
153 FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET NC NC
422 CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS SYSTEM NC NC
46D TAPE STRIPE DELETE NC NC
66W 18" ALUM SPARE TIRE/WHL NC NC
TOTAL OPTIONS 00 00
TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS 29310 00 27099 00
DESTINATION & DELIVERY 795 00 795 00
_________
TOTAL FOR VEHICLE 30105 00
FUEL CHARGE 61 60
CA NEW MTR VEHICLE BOARD FEES 65
ADVERTISING ASSESSMENT 498 00
SHIPPING WEIGHT 3472 LBS.
TOTAL 30105 00 28454 25

Ford $750 coupon was used. Also said they were adding another $250 it and did not ask why. At the hand shake to confirm the deal after the test drive he took another $100 off with a very sly smile to me. I took that as an indication we still made money.Not included at all in the pricing they gave me a $25 gift card to their dinner next door. Just guess they were really dealing that day.
This is a published price on another GT in their inventory. Saw it on their site Sunday night. Was not there last week when I visited the dealership.
OUR COST : $30,895
MSRP : $36,890

Mike

I wouldn't let resale color be an option to what you decide to go with...I think any color of mustang looks good, but on a conv have you considered looking at the Kona blue, myself i think that is one of the better colors in conv, but grabber is nice to (i just perfer that on the coupe)....when it comes down to it, what's going to make you feel better when you open the garage every morning.....

My apologies to the original poster, this is my last reply on this issue in this thread.

I frankly don't believe that either.

Neither do I. First of all you cannot just "add" additional dollars to a rebate. Each rebate has a specific code and is tied to a specific dollar amount. If the two numbers don't match exactly the dealer doesn't get paid. And in the end the dealer is still losing money. This story makes no sense at all.
Then there is the $5995 spread between MSRP and cost on the car he listed.
I couldn't find a car with an MSRP of $36,890 but I came close. If you look at the highlighted numbers at the bottom (left is MSRP, right is cost) you'll see total profit is only $2,415.

MUSTANG GT COUPE PREMIUM 33045 00 30460 00
2012 MODEL YEAR
UA BLACK
5Q CHARCOAL BLACK W/CASH LEATHER

INCLUDED ON THIS VEHICLE
RAPID SPEC 401A 395 00 344 00
PREMIER TRIM W/COLOR ACCENT

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
99F .5.0L 4V TI-VCT V8 NC NC
443 6-SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION 1195 00 1040 00
T3C .P235/50R18 A/S TIRE NC NC
153 FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET NC NC
422 CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS SYSTEM NC NC
45Y 3.15 RATIO LIMITED SLIP AXLE NC NC
46D TAPE STRIPE DELETE NC NC
918 SHAKER 1000 AUDIO SYSTEM 1295 00 1127 00
TOTAL OPTIONS 2885 00 2511 00
TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS 35930 00 32971 00
DESTINATION & DELIVERY 850 00 850 00
_________

TOTAL FOR VEHICLE 36780 00

FUEL CHARGE 45 92
CA NEW MTR VEHICLE BOARD FEES 65
ADVERTISING ASSESSMENT 498 00
SHIPPING WEIGHT 3520 LBS.

TOTAL 36780 00 34365 57

Mike

X-plan is the best pricing out there. The only better plans are A/Z or D plans which are for Ford or dealer employees and their immediate families.

Hi mikemix,

I think you should go with the color that makes you get the biggest grin when you look at it! Here's a link to download a customized brochure: 2012 Ford Mustang | Download a Brochure | Ford.com Also, make sure you contact our Marketing Program Headquarters at 800.334.4375 for any available incentives and to set up a test drive. Happy shopping!

~Natasha

I wouldn't let resale color be an option to what you decide to go with...I think any color of mustang looks good, but on a conv have you considered looking at the Kona blue, myself i think that is one of the better colors in conv, but grabber is nice to (i just perfer that on the coupe)....when it comes down to it, what's going to make you feel better when you open the garage every morning.....

Have you considered Yellow Blaze Metallic? We got a Boss in that color and it was beautiful. Until I saw the Boss I would have never considered it, but if I order a Mustang that's the color it's going to be. Pictures don't do it justice and it looks great with black highlights, think your top.

Have you considered Yellow Blaze Metallic? We got a Boss in that color and it was beautiful. Until I saw the Boss I would have never considered it, but if I order a Mustang that's the color it's going to be. Pictures don't do it justice and it looks great with black highlights, think your top.

I'm not the one looking, but I will give my .02 anyways....I already boughta 12 Lava red GT, as my signature represents, but for the yellow blaze I would of never considered it on a mustang "coupe" I don't like the way it looks on them, but when you switch it to "convertible" that yellow blaze would look sweet on it, oh and the thread owner is looking at resale value, myself, I think a yellow blaze, w/charcoal leather/black top would be EZ to resale :shrug: