Electrical 2012 Mustang Gt Brake & Signal Light Wiring

fordman44

Jun 12, 2017
I just swapped a complete interior, drivetrain & wiring harness from a total loss 2012 GT premium into my 2005 base V6. It is all done and running great except for one thing. The brake and signal lights are not quite right. I had to change the plugs for the taillights since they were different on each harness. There is an extra wire on the 2012 harness that the 2005 didn't have. In the factory wiring diagrams, it's listed as the "tl outage" wire. I believe that it sends a signal from the taillights to the BCM to let it know if a light is out. I have the other wires except for this one hooked up. The parking lights and reverse lights work fine. The brake, signal & hazards work, but the signals flash at the faster speed as if to indicate that a bulb is out. Again, I think this is happening since I don't have the "tl outage" wire hooked up. The brake, signal & hazards only work a few times before the BCM shuts them down. According to the factory service manual, the BCM shuts them down to prevent further damage until a repair is made. Also, I have aftermarket taillights, the Raxiom Gen 5 ones that American Muscle sells. Does anyone know what the "tl outage" wire should be hooked up to, or if this is even what is causing my problem? It is starting to get frustrating, since I can't drive it at all, because the only brake light I have is the middle one up on the trunk lid!

• Sponsors (?)