2012 v6 does not crank/start sometimes

hari

Aug 18, 2011
Hi all,

I bought a 2012 black v6 last week and needless to say., it rocks!..

Have been having an issue from day1 and it doesn't seem to be going away. So, thought I should check whether it is a common issue. When I cold-start it., sometimes it doesn't start (doesn't even crank). One or two attempts later, it usually starts. When it doesn't even crank, I can notice that the fans etc. get switched off (as one would expect when it normally starts).

Do I need to get it checked out?

-hari

• Sponsors (?)

Hi hari,

Congrats on your new Mustang! I do think you should have it inspected at your dealer. With this being such a new vehicle you definitely want to make sure it starts up when you want it to. If they are unable to determine the cause, please let me know and I will assist. Have a great day!

~Natasha

thanks all, for the response.

It's manual transmission. I tried to reproduce the problem, and seems like the problem doesn't occur if I push the clutch to the floor (literally stand on it). Wonder if that's the way it's supposed to be done. I don't recall being so careful with clutch while starting with other cars.

thanks all, for the response.

It's manual transmission. I tried to reproduce the problem, and seems like the problem doesn't occur if I push the clutch to the floor (literally stand on it). Wonder if that's the way it's supposed to be done. I don't recall being so careful with clutch while starting with other cars.

Hey hari,

You may want to consider test driving a similarly equipped 'stang at your local dealer to ease your concerns. If you still feel worried, then the dealer is your best bet in resolving it.

~Natasha

Hari,

Had a 2005 GT 5-speed with exactly the same problem...even with the clutch pinned to the floor, turning the key would get zero response. Usually after two or three tries it would start normally. I figured it was the solenoid on the clutch pedal mechanism but replacing it didn't help and the dealer was never able to replicate the problem so no fix there. New battery didn't help either. The good news is that it only caused me one "real" problem when I had the car on a trip; had to do a push & jump start it.

Final solution? Sold it when I got my 2010 GT...and I told the new owner about the problem - so don't write me any nasties!

Yeah, sounds like the clutch solenoid. My car's the same. I have to just remember not to be lazy with the clutch and push it all the way in. Think of it as an anti-theft device:) You can take it in, but with my experience the dealer will tell you it's operating properly.

thanks guys., for the response.

By *not* being lazy on the clutch., so far, the problem has not resurfaced. Hopefully, it stays that way. It would be a bummer if it turns out like with @explrsport (no known solution i.e.,) :(.

@MyGG., has it ever happened to you when you had the clutch completely depressed? Judging by the (lack of) response I got from my dealer w.r.t the dealer-fitted swirl-marks :)., I wouldn't be too enthusiastic as well.

@Natasha: Nice to note that personnel from Ford are actively involved with the usergroups.