2012 vs. 2013 Mustang GT

Douger

Mar 28, 2012
Hey all, I am new to Stagnet but have been around Fords all my life and currently have a 2004 SVT Lightning. I am looking to get into a new Mustang GT and wanted to hear everyone's opinions on 2012 vs. 2013.

A dealer by me has a 2012 GT Premium with optional 19" wheels and that is it for options. They have it marked down to 30k and change so it seems like a fairly decent deal (MSRP = 36k. The one thing I wanted to have was the brembo kit and potentially the "GT track package" available for the 2013 but not sure if it is worth it at this point in time. I know that I could obviously outfit an aftermarket brake kit and always change gears. Just wanted to get some input from you guys...

• Sponsors (?)

The changes between those two years seem pretty minimal. If it was me, I'd get the deal on the '12 and have some extra money to do a few tweaks myself. That being said, the bonus of the factory items is the warranty that goes with it.

Ultimately it comes down to what's comfortable for you.

Yeah, I think I might deal on the '12 then. And I am definitely not a fan of the green.

One item I am still hung up on is the leather vs. cloth...does anyone with a cloth interior wish they would have gone with leather or vice versa?

When I went to trade in my leather clad Cobra for my cloth stitched GT I didn't twice about it. Leather looks nice when it's new, but unless you take really good care of it, it starts looking busted quick.

Yeah, I think I might deal on the '12 then. And I am definitely not a fan of the green.

One item I am still hung up on is the leather vs. cloth...does anyone with a cloth interior wish they would have gone with leather or vice versa?

Personally, I'd try to get a deal on a 2012. Not just to save the money, but I don't really like the facelift they did to the 2013s. Just a personal preference there.

As for the leather question, I usually prefer cloth. When I got my 2011, I got the premium trim with leather because I thought the interior on the base model was a bit cheap, and because I wanted most of what came with the premium trim, including being able to check the 401A option. For me, the leather just kinda came with it.

However, after having the car for over a year, I'd probably order a base GT with cloth interior if I had to do it over again. It's not that I'm unhappy with the premium trim. I still like having most of the features it came with. I just don't like it an extra $3700 worth, and I've come to the conclusion that I wouldn't be any less happy to have a base GT.

Reactions: 1 user
It goes either way...myself, I'm a leather guy. I owned cloth and leather, and I just prefer leather. But not everyone does, it's a choice you'll have to make. with that said, the cloth seats they put in the stangs are pretty nice.

I'm in the same boat you are...except that I don't care for the facelift on the '13's so it's an easy choice for me. I agree with Coyote5.0 100% but I can't find a base GT near me in a color/option pkg I like so will probably end up with a premium.

If you're really not sure, toss a dart at the board, you'll be happy either way...it's a MUSTANG!!!!

Leather is the only way to go. A bit of care and it will last forever.
Spill something on cloth and you have a mess, period.
In my opinion leather also looks much nicer. (not all of it is leather, by the way).

I have a 1966 with vinyl and love it. I wish that were an option today.

I just bought a 2012 BASE 5.0 with a 6 speed. The only thing I'd change would be the steering wheel (with ALL the controls), Brembos, HIDs, and the 19" Silver Premium wheels. Or just upgrade to Boss. lol

By the way... I got mine brand new for $24,000. Out the door. :) That was the selling point for me.

I like the tail lights and the new info screen in the center of the gauge cluster, but I'm in the same boat as far as the face lift looking meh. I'd get the '12 to save money for some upgrades.

Yah, I'm aware the '13 has the GT500 front and most love it. To me, it looks like a catfish. But, the more I stare at the '13 the better it gets. It takes time for me to adjust to it. The '13 has the hood vents which I really like. I don't care about the info screen. The rear lights really look good though.