2013 Black Mustang Gt - Buyer Look Out

Turd_Burglar

May 7, 2012
Hey This is my first post on here and I don't want to start on a bad note but I just wanted to let everyone know to look their 2013 black mustang GT's over well. I took delivery on mine two weeks ago and 70% of the car now needs to be repainted under warranty because of what ford is calling "rail dust". Ford won't say if it is a common issue and doesn't have any record of quality check on it (they said mine is the only reported issue). It is fine little spots all over the car that is under the clearcoat. You won't notice it unless you get up really close and look. Just beware and look your cars over. I I am just mad my brand new car needed to be repainted because of a factory defect. I am just trying to help another mustang lover out and save them the pain.

• Sponsors (?)

rail dust is not from the painting process....

its actual hot metal dust (like a spark) that lands on the clear coat and embeds deep into the clear. sometimes you can clay bar the paint to get it out. other times it needs to be stripped and painted.

Hey This is my first post on here and I don't want to start on a bad note but I just wanted to let everyone know to look their 2013 black mustang GT's over well. I took delivery on mine two weeks ago and 70% of the car now needs to be repainted under warranty because of what ford is calling "rail dust"...

Hey Turd_Burglar,

Congratulations on the ‘Stang!

I’m sure the dealership will have the paint job glistening new in no time. I can add
another layer of assistance by escalating your concern to the Customer Service Manager. To do so, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

Take care!

Noemi

Thanks for the clarification mustangmike6996!

Hey Noemi, ford came back and said they approved repainting the entire car. I am just hoping what ford approved is a true tear down and repaint and not a tape and go. I am suppose to go to the dealership tomorrow for the detail on the process. If I have any issues tomorrow I will PM you and let you know. I am just annoyed a brand new car needs to be repainted.

I acutally picked mine up about 2 weeks ago as well in black. Paint seems fine so far. Although one of the front wheels had excessive rust dust on the inside of the rim. Which maybe its related. Also my brake resevoir seems to be leaking brake fluid from the cap, even though it seems to be on tight. Awesome for a new car

...Hey Noemi, ford came back and said they approved repainting the entire car. I am just hoping what ford approved is a true tear down and repaint and not a tape and go. I am suppose to go to the dealership tomorrow for the detail on the process...
Hey Turd_Burglar,

Sorry for the late reply. Your cousins, the Focus Fanatics, can be a tad bit demanding. ;)

Thanks for the info, I'll be replying to your message some time this afternoon.
I acutally picked mine up about 2 weeks ago as well in black. Paint seems fine so far. Although one of the front wheels had excessive rust dust on the inside of the rim. Which maybe its related. Also my brake resevoir seems to be leaking brake fluid from the cap, even though it seems to be on tight. Awesome for a new car

Afternoon AlxBLKCS,

:grats: on the 'Stang!

Let's not have the new car experience diminished over issues which can be addressed by the dealership. Give them a call, and set up an appointment. Once you do this, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Take care!

Noemi

I have a 2013 GT CS and mine is leaking as well. :(

I have a 2013 GT CS and mine is leaking as well. :(

i had a similar problem with my 06. i had to sand the top of the brake res to flatten it out. it was a mess. my car leaked brake fluid all over the frame and firewall. ford had to respray the engine bay...

i know that was a long time ago, i now have a 2010 that is fine. my buddy has a 2010 that is leaking. im not sure if the new brake res is the same as the older ones, but that is where to start.

Hey This is my first post on here and I don't want to start on a bad note but I just wanted to let everyone know to look their 2013 black mustang GT's over well. I took delivery on mine two weeks ago and 70% of the car now needs to be repainted under warranty because of what ford is calling "rail dust". Ford won't say if it is a common issue and doesn't have any record of quality check on it (they said mine is the only reported issue). It is fine little spots all over the car that is under the clearcoat. You won't notice it unless you get up really close and look. Just beware and look your cars over. I I am just mad my brand new car needed to be repainted because of a factory defect. I am just trying to help another mustang lover out and save them the pain.

I just got my 2013 black mustang 2 days ago and when I drove it inside my garage under lights I noticed a bunch of small paint spots on the trunk,it had been buffed as I could see big round circles around those spots.As I looked further they were some more all over the roof and hood . I feel pretty bad paying good money for a mess like that.
It is going back to the dealer tomorrow morning ; someone tried to fix it before without any success I don't know what else they can do now .Had I known that before the transaction ,that car would not be in my garage now

I just got my 2013 black mustang 2 days ago and when I drove it inside my garage under lights I noticed a bunch of small paint spots on the trunk,it had been buffed as I could see big round circles around those spots.As I looked further they were some more all over the roof and hood . I feel pretty bad paying good money for a mess like that.
It is going back to the dealer tomorrow morning ; someone tried to fix it before without any success I don't know what else they can do now .Had I known that before the transaction ,that car would not be in my garage now

You would think Ford would issue some kind of recall on the leaking break reservoir cap, my motor also makes a knocking sound at idle after it warms up.....awesome!! :crap:

I have a similar experience! I am proud to say that I have officially sold my soul from the Nissan to a true American muscle car! I bought my 2013 mustang GT (black) 2 weeks ago and the damn thing had a big ass scratch down the passenger side! (Wait it gets better) so I told the dumbass sales lady that I paid for a brand new car and this needed to be fixed NOW... Ok so I take the time off work to drop it off to get fixed and put a satellite radio in (dealer paid;and that is a WHOLE NOTHER discrepancy on dealers part).. I pick it up two days later with a bucket of apologies from the dealer wanting the good survey so she could get paid on her inability to do her job correctly... Now the entire car looked like the swirl fairy took a :poo: on my car and decided to clean it up with a piece of 50 grit sand paper, = not a happy first time buying experience with a ford (and I understand that it takes only 1apple to ruin the bunch). Obviously this WILL be taken care of COMPLETELY before I accept the car back!... But it was definitely met with many explanations about how "black is just a color that shows every flaw and that's just how the car/color you bought is just gonna look" (FYI I wish that was made up!...BUT, mind you that little old stupid me, this is the third black car I've owned and cared for) so after I had our little conversation explaining what a brand new car "is"...I'm finally/hopefully/better be getting exactly what I sold my life away for the next umpteen years! All that said and getting back to the point, albeit salespeople are just product pushers that don't necessarily represent the brand as a whole, but I had a horrible first time buying QUALITY issue which was fixed ONLY after much complaining... I def agree with turd of careful scrutiny after your new purchase!

most likely it is rail dust from the trains metal wheels as your car is being transported, ever notice the white wrappers on most new cars on the transports it is there to help prevent this. As the train rolls down the track thousands of miles the friction of the metal wheels on the metal tracks do wear and makes very small metal dust that floats around the the train as it in motion and settles on all things, and if it get wet it rust and starts in on the paint yes it will eat into it! notice how around a busy track the area is rust colored. Back in 93 my 93 Cobra R had rail dust on it and after careful clay bar action and careful polishing it was fine. Just my experience being a body and paint shop and having to deal with this issue from time to time
img002.jpg