2013 Convertible: Alternator Belt Issue Caused by Water Pump

Hello everyone. My first post here.
I've a 2013 convertible with 120k kilometers mileage, I'm the second owner bought it around 112k mileage.

I've had a series of issues recently. First there was an engine light coming on, had no clue what's happening. Gave it to mechanic who charged me a ton for fixing things like gasket, fuel control, etc. After that the engine light went off for days, but keeps coming on after couple of days, stays on for few hours then goes away again.

3 days back I had a new issue. Car gave a "Check charging system" error but was functioning correctly. Twice the car failed to start. I searched on this forum and other websites and learnt it must be something to do with alternator; which was correct. Yesterday the power steering went off, I couldn't turn the car. Thankfully I was still in the parking lot. I called a battery guy, he looked and explained to me that the alternator belt has come off. He fixed it but it came off again. He explained that the reason the belt keeps coming off is that the water pump behind the alternator is leaking water on the belt, causing the belt to slip off as soon as he puts it back on again.

I read elsewhere that water coming out from water pump is normal. My mechanic ( a new guy, dont know how good he is ) has towed away the car to his garage and is inspecting the problem. Im afraid Im going to be charged with a hefty bill again.

Is the water pump throwing water on alternator belt a normal thing? Or does the water pump needs to be replaced. Anyone has any idea on the cost of this problem so I know if Im being charged fair.

• Sponsors (?)

First, a leaking water pump is an indication of the pump failing...it must be replaced. It is NOT normal for the water pump to leak water on anything. Replace it...also consider replacing the belt too since the reason it is being thrown is more likely the water pump locking up than the coolant on the belt (the belt has probably been damaged or is worn out...have your mechanic give it a critical look).

Just getting the belt back on may cure your power steering and charging issues...I believe it a serpentine belt driving everything. If you come back for more advice, the engine size and transmission type are helpful to know for those trying to help you.

Sorry, I have no guess at the cost of this as I've done this kind of work myself for many years...most water pumps can be had for under $50, but shops mark that number up some (plus labor costs) to ensure a profit margin. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
First, a leaking water pump is an indication of the pump failing...it must be replaced. It is NOT normal for the water pump to leak water on anything. Replace it...also consider replacing the belt too since the reason it is being thrown is more likely the water pump locking up than the coolant on the belt (the belt has probably been damaged or is worn out...have your mechanic give it a critical look).

Just getting the belt back on may cure your power steering and charging issues...I believe it a serpentine belt driving everything. If you come back for more advice, the engine size and transmission type are helpful to know for those trying to help you.

Sorry, I have no guess at the cost of this as I've done this kind of work myself for many years...most water pumps can be had for under $50, but shops mark that number up some (plus labor costs) to ensure a profit margin. Hope this helps.

How bad is it if a pump is failing? Does changing a pump require the whole engine to be taken out? I'm just trying to estimate the costs involved here.

The coolant leaking from the pump indicates the shaft seal has failed...once the coolant begins leaking in that manner, it is only a matter of time before the bearing will fail as well. Your motor may be throwing the belt due to the water pump bearing beginning to degrade and causing additional drag on the belt until it flies off. In any case, a leaking water pump should be replaced.

The motor does not need to be removed to change the water pump...it bolts to the front of the motor. Google/search "2013 mustang water pump replacement" for V6 or V8 depending on your engine and you will find some videos to view the procedure. It is not a hard task to accomplish...be sure to drain your remaining coolant into a big bucket before you start to prevent a mess.