2014 V-6: When to clean throttle boby?

nysz1b

Mar 13, 2018
Just had my 2014 V-6 oil/filter changed at the local Ford dealership, and they want to clean the throttle body for $150.00. Looking online, it seems easy enough to do at home. My question is: How often does this need to be done? The car has just over 27K on it. Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Is it dirty?

I've had a few new cars, and have never cleaned the throttle body on any. I've visually inspected them over the years, but none ever got anywhere the point I deemed a cleaning necessary. One car made it to 170k miles and still looked pretty damn clean to me.

Go to youtube. Lots of videos on how and what cleaners to use. I clean mine every 2 years, when I clean and re-oil my cone air filter :)

Just noticed you 'pay' your dealer to do an oil change. Maybe you can't work on your Mustang where you live? Maybe you don't have the proper tools?

Go to youtube. Lots of videos on how and what cleaners to use. I clean mine every 2 years, when I clean and re-oil my cone air filter :)

Just noticed you 'pay' your dealer to do an oil change. Maybe you can't work on your Mustang where you live? Maybe you don't have the proper tools?

I stopped doing oil changes on my cars years ago. it's just not worth the time/hassel, IMHO: Get the car up on stands, crawl underneath, wrestle with drain plug and filter, clean up the inevitable spill (some always get spilled!), find recycling center for used oil, etc, etc. If one figures in your labor to do all this, one is hardly saving any money over what the dealer charges, again IMHO. . I still do my own oil changes on my motorcyles, but that is alot less of a hassle.

More power to those that do their oil changes; it's a free country!

Reactions: 1 user